Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] The Mikado

  • vickdamom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 21, 2005
      we did the Mikado last year with seventh graders...for the hair we did updos
      with lots of big buns and rolled curls and then spray painted the "dos" with
      wash out black hair spray...for a nice touch we made hair sticks with broken
      jewlery..hot glue ...embroidery floss and colored pencils ... two per hairdo and
      the girls kept their picks as mementos...Vicky

    • David
      Message 2 of 13 , May 22, 2005
        I know that I am coming late to the party - been out of town - but PBS
        aired a brilliant production of "The Mikado" several years ago
        starring Eric Idle (of Monty Python). While it kept the flavour of
        Japan, it was updated to what I think was probably about 1922 or so.
        As a result, some of the ceremonial pieces were kept intact, but for
        others - the three little maids from school for instance - were
        dressed in off white lace and chiffon dresses. In fact if I remember
        correctly the entire production was in off-white.
      • John T. Soister
        Message 3 of 13 , May 23, 2005
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, vickdamom@a... wrote:
          > we did the Mikado last year with seventh graders...for the hair we
          did updos
          > with lots of big buns and rolled curls and then spray painted
          the "dos" with
          > wash out black hair spray...for a nice touch we made hair sticks with
          broken
          > jewlery..hot glue ...embroidery floss and colored pencils ... two per
          hairdo and
          > the girls kept their picks as mementos...Vicky

          Whoa, Vicky! GREAT IDEA! You couldn't outfit one football player
          with the budget we work with, so getting one of the moms (hopefully,
          one with hairdressing savvy) to do the job, buns/rolls/black dye-wise,
          is a wonderful suggestion.
          Many thanks, and thanks, too, to everyone who has been so generous
          with suggestions & recommendations.
          John

        • John T. Soister
          Message 4 of 13 , May 23, 2005
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "David" <djuby@s...>
            wrote:
            > I know that I am coming late to the party - been out of town - but
            PBS
            > aired a brilliant production of "The Mikado" several years ago
            > starring Eric Idle (of Monty Python). While it kept the flavour of
            > Japan, it was updated to what I think was probably about 1922 or so.
            > As a result, some of the ceremonial pieces were kept intact, but for
            > others - the three little maids from school for instance - were
            > dressed in off white lace and chiffon dresses. In fact if I remember
            > correctly the entire production was in off-white.

            Thanks, David. Sounds like it's definitely worth a look. Now, if
            PBS has a copy of the tape for sale for less than a mortgage payment...
            Grazie tanto,
            John
          • Michelle Clark
            Message 5 of 13 , May 23, 2005
              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Contessa"
              <contessa@t...> wrote:
              > I've seen the Mikado done in Western style, You know like cowboys
              and such,

              One of the strangest shows I've been involved in ....
              Many years ago I worked on a production of "Faust" that was done
              Western, expect the vices, which where greek.

              Michelle
            • Kathy Pawl
              Message 6 of 13 , May 24, 2005
                Minnesota Ballet's production of Swan Lake - picture ballerinas in cowboy boots

                Michelle Clark <MBORZOI@...> wrote:--- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Contessa"