Cats and allergies

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2005
      > From: "Mom IS my real name" <jeozeran@...>
      > Subject: rats and kitties
      >
      > Thanks, all, for your stories and suggestions. I've
      > taken the
      > opportunity to clear out a bunch of old stuff, which is
      > good. The
      > Company Board decided to set out glue traps... I voted
      > for cats, but
      > we have two dancers who are highly allergic (and they
      > aren't allergic
      > to rodents? hmmm...) I think when the director and
      > company are out
      > of town this weekend I'll pick up the traps and let loose
      > my cats.

      Just a word of warning--most of the time, cat allergies are
      not someone allergic to the fur, but rather someone
      allergic to cat saliva (which gets rubbed all over the fur,
      and then all over everything else the cat touches). It is
      VERY common for people who are allergic to cats to not have
      similar allergies to rodents. I think the cats would be
      far more effective than the traps--but you could find
      yourself in a liability nightmare if one of those dancers
      is as allergic as they made it sound and didn't bring
      medication to rehearsal.

      Why do I sound this alarm? Well, one of my best friends
      got a chinchilla for her birthday. No bid deal, really,
      lots of people have them. And she thought her daughter
      would be thrilled with the little creature. She's got
      cats, guinea pigs...a regular meangerie. However, when my
      friend's father heard that they had a chinchilla in the
      house, he quietly said that he would have to stay outside
      in the car if they came to visit...because while he's only
      mildly allergic to cats and can deal with them as he would
      a mild case of hay fever, exposure to chinchillas when
      Marla (my friend) was growing up nearly put him in the
      hospital, due to the extreme reaction his body had. My own
      father was not allergic to mice or gerbils--but almost had
      to call an ambulance after my brother started keeping a
      rat. Allergies are funny things--they can be very
      specific. They can also be very frightening, if not
      deadly. So proceed at your own risk.

      Curtis Kidd

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
    • Mom IS my real name
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2005
        You're right, Curtiss, to bring up how serious allergies really are.
        And I know, too, that new allergies develop suddenly and unexpectedly
        sometimes.

        In the case of these two dancers, they've both worn costumes that I
        built at home where I have several indoor cats and dogs (who get into
        all of my stuff), and neither seems to have reacted to the dander I
        must carry back into the studio. But you've made it clear that I
        should make sure everyone knows about my animals!

        The director is leaning toward a Comapny Cat right now, so if I bring
        mine in, I'll restrict them to her office where most of the damage
        has been uncovered (chewed up phone cord, etc.)

        Janelle