Re: 80s and infestations

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2005
      > From: "Randolph Keator" <rkeator@...>
      > Subject: Re: 1980s fashions
      >
      > Think "Cosby Show" and "Friends". The 80's are when
      > casual started to really
      > take over the fashion scene and if memory serves, grunge
      > started moving in
      > around '87/'88. I think "Beverly Hills Cop" or "48 Hours"
      > was done about
      > '88/'89. Denim wear for all but the most formal functions
      > was the norm, not
      > the exception."Hill Street Blues" and "Dallas" I believe
      > were retired about
      > '88.

      Beverly Hills Cop was earlier 80's...BHC2 was 87-88. Some
      other films to look at: The Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's
      Fire, Can't Buy Me Love, Just One of the Guys...

      There was also a different kind of 'glam' look in the
      earlier 80's (the whole monochromatic tapered suit and
      skinny tie look--the kind of thing David Bowie was famous
      for during the 80's)...it's a really odd movie, but a good
      selection of looks from that era can be found in 'The
      Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai". Also check out 'The
      Wedding Singer'...granted, it's kind of a current
      interpretation of the 80s looks, but there are a lot of
      them in there.

      One of the best places to look to find the stereotypes of
      the 80's looks--DVD collections of 80's music videos.

      > From: "Mom IS my real name" <jeozeran@...>
      > Subject: fabric and costume storage: pests!
      >
      > There are rats in the ballet studio!!! We've always had
      > moths and
      > silverfish, but this is too much for me. I've managed to
      > keep my
      > fabrics and costumes out of plastic for years, but now I
      > don't know
      > what to do. There's no evidence of nesting in the
      > costumes or in the
      > costume shop yet, but which is worse for textiles:
      > plastic
      > (chemicals, moisture, etc.), or the pests? What do you
      > all suggest?

      I wish rats were the only problem we'd had in the past few
      years. We FINALLY (after about five years of dealing with
      the problem piecemeal) got rid of the raccoons that had
      occupied the crawlspace above our offices. I will tell you
      right now, from my own experience, I'd rather take a slight
      chance on mildewing a costume by wrapping it in plastic
      that I would having is discolored with rodent droppings and
      urine.

      On top of that, we had mice get into some of our Halloween
      costumes a couple of winters ago--one of the outfits had
      some fake saggy breasts, done with birdseed; the mice
      gorged themselves on it and dropped dead on the floor
      beneath the rack. I'm glad they at least made it to the
      floor. Much as I like having everything open to the air
      (mainly so I can see what's there, but also so it doesn't
      get any problems from having moisture trapped in it), I'm
      rapidly getting to the point where I'm ready to go through
      my entire costume storage area and wrap everything in
      plastic bags or shove it in plastic tubs. As it is, I have
      to be very selective about who I discuss costume conditions
      with; I don't want any of the performers assuming that,
      because I discarded an item due to rodent
      pollution/destruction, EVERYTHING in storage is crawling
      with little beasties.

      One thing I've started doing, simply because our storage
      facilities (which are incredibly poor) don't seal well from
      the outside, is spraying heavily for spiders, insects, and
      moths--a side effect of which is that the aroma scares away
      most other vermin for quite some time.

      Also, in regards to the glue strip traps--I've never had a
      creature gnaw part of itself off to get away from one of
      those...usually, if they get their nose down there to do
      something like that, they get the end of their nose stuck
      in the glue (and suffocate). I have, however, on several
      occasions, found mice glued to the board, still
      struggling...and I'm the only one in the office practical
      enough to put them out of their misery, much as I hate that
      particular duty. But those glue strips, aside from being
      very effective for mice, also work very well for spiders,
      cockroaches, and other creeping things that like to scuttle
      around the baseboards and back corners. They are also
      extremely effective at sticking to ANYTHING else that
      encounters them, including costume items. Be careful where
      you put them, if they come into play, or you could find
      some very sticky, very tenacious stuff clinging to a
      particularly nice long gown. (They are also, while
      extremely effective, not infallible--I have found glue
      boards covered with mouse hairs, and boards that have been
      gnawed on right up to the edge of the adhesive). They are
      more effective than regular mouse traps, and while a cat is
      much more fun to have around, the boards don't shed at all
      and require no feeding or litter box duties. Given the
      option, I'd probably go with the cat.

      Curtis Kidd

      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html