Re: Five hundred years of camping out

  • Tara Maginnis
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
      Alas, I don't know myself, although I've tried to find out. It was a
      quote (by whom I've long since forgotten) that my college Late
      Antique/ Early Medieval History teacher cited to sum up the society of
      Western Europe from about 500 CE to 1000 CE when we began a class on
      that era.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "joetexx" <joetexx@y...>
      wrote:
      > Does anyone know the source of this description of the Dark Ages ? If
      > you possibly supply me with the name of the 'pithy scholar' mentioned
      > by Dr Maginnis I'd be very grateful!
      >

      > *Contemporary with the first part of the Eastern Empire's rule in the
      > western Mediterranean, Western Europe was going through the period
      > known as the "Dark Ages". One rather pithy scholar pretty well summed
      > up the era (400-900ce) as "five hundred years of camping out".*
      >

      > http://www.costumes.org/classes/fashiondress/byzantium.htm
    • Joseph Ebbecke
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7 12:49 PM
        Thanks! If I ever run it down myself I'll let you
        know.

        --- Tara Maginnis <thecostumersmanifesto@...>
        wrote:
        > Alas, I don't know myself, although I've tried to
        > find out. It was a
        > quote (by whom I've long since forgotten) that my
        > college Late
        > Antique/ Early Medieval History teacher cited to sum
        > up the society of
        > Western Europe from about 500 CE to 1000 CE when we
        > began a class on
        > that era.
        >
        > --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com,
        > "joetexx" <joetexx@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Does anyone know the source of this description of
        > the Dark Ages ? If
        > > you possibly supply me with the name of the 'pithy
        > scholar' mentioned
        > > by Dr Maginnis I'd be very grateful!
        > >

        > > *Contemporary with the first part of the Eastern
        > Empire's rule in the
        > > western Mediterranean, Western Europe was going
        > through the period
        > > known as the "Dark Ages". One rather pithy scholar
        > pretty well summed
        > > up the era (400-900ce) as "five hundred years of
        > camping out".*

        http://www.costumes.org/classes/fashiondress/byzantium.htm

        Thanks Very Much,

        Joseph Ebbecke