  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2005
      > From: "Kathy" <kwilliams@...>
      > Subject: Re: Stage Blood question
      >
      > Hi, Anna,
      >
      > According to the book "Women who Charmed the West," by
      > Anne Seagraves,
      > they were still using pig's blood for stage blood during
      > this period.

      I would guess that the use of fake blood was a slowly
      spreading process, from wherever it started. Out in the
      West, it would make sense to use animal blood, because it
      was readily available, no matter where you went. I would
      also guess (and mind you, this is ONLY a guess) that fake
      blood probably wasn't developed until after refrigeration
      became fairly common in the more industrialized areas--my
      logic being that, with the ability to refrigerate animals,
      the supply of real blood would become less predicatable.
      If you could no longer just run down to the corner butcher
      shop and get some fresh for the night's show, you'd want to
      come up with something you could rely on.

      Doesn't really help, because there's no basis in research,
      I know. But it might suggest some potential alternatives
      of research. I hope you find the answer, you've got me
      curious now...;)

      Curtis Kidd

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Anna
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 2:24 PM
        OK, since I've intrigued a few. Another answer I got on the ICG-D
        list said that by 1847 they were using a red dye called Cochineal.
        Cochineal is made of the dried and pulverized bodies of female
        cochineal insects. She said it was used as a biological stain and as
        an indicator in acid-base titrations. This was one of a number of red
        dyes used at the time. She said it(Cochineal)was used in an 1847
        production of "Sweeney Todd."

        Anna

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Curtis Kidd