Pioneer Clothing

  • Paul Watson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2005
      Hi all

      I just took over as the Costume Manager at the Pioneer
      Village in my area and aside form being aghast at the
      quality of the collection, I was mortified to discover
      the very limited research done on the subject.

      I figured I would ask you, fellow listites, for ideas
      on research materials. I guess I should tell you a
      bit about the village, it is covering a period of
      settlement in the area from 1800-1920 ( I
      know...immmense "Pioneer" period). The area is Upper
      Canada (Ontario to non Canadians). The Primary period
      we are dressing for is mostly 1850's, what we need is
      materials and ideas for both farm and more
      professional attire. I have combed through my
      personal and our local library for necessary materials
      and have come up a little short in both areas (my main
      speciality is 18th and early 19th C), I have some but
      would like more, as a hypothesis is only as good as
      the research that goes into it.

      Any suggestions for either books OR Clothing would be
      greatly appreciated, you can either contact me off or
      onlist.

      Thanks in advance for any assistance.

      Paul