Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] slashing tool?

  • Irmgart
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21 10:45 AM
      well... I think usually just a sharp knife or scissors would be used
      to make the slashes. I think the "chisel" that he is thinking of is
      "pinking" (the little hearts, stars, squares, circles, etc). This is
      a good article on pinking, though it's more geared to post Elizabethan
      costuming.

      http://www.marquise.de/en/1700/howto/auszaecken.shtml

      -Irmgart
      (whose husband wants a pinked leather doublet. I told him I'd do the
      doublet if he'd do the pinking!!!)

      On 4/21/05, Loretta Armstrong <laminathegreat@...> wrote:

      > This question actualy comes from aone of my husbands co-workers..
      > What is the name of the tool used to make slashings in Elizabethan
      > costumes? My first thought was a seam ripper 8-P but he said it was
      > something that looked like a chisel. He's been trying to find
      > something with no avail. Any help?
      > Loretta
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • tjchatham
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22 8:24 AM
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Loretta Armstrong"
        <laminathegreat@y...> wrote:

        > This question actualy comes from aone of my husbands co-workers..
        > What is the name of the tool used to make slashings in Elizabethan
        > costumes? My first thought was a seam ripper 8-P but he said it was
        > something that looked like a chisel. He's been trying to find
        > something with no avail. Any help?
        > Loretta

        Loretta,
        Could he be referring to a buttonhole cutter? It looks like a chisel
        and is used to "cut" rather than "tear" a buttonhole. It makes a
        sharper opening and doesn't stretch the buttonhole like using a seam
        ripper sometimes can. A good picture of one can be had by going to
        www.nancysnotions.com and searching for "buttonhole cutter" in the
        search bar. They have two sets... a plastic handled one by Clover and
        a wooden handled one.
        Buttonhole cutters are usually sold in sets... a "chisel" cutter and
        a "round" cutter to do the "hole" part of a keyhole buttonhole. They
        are also used to cut holes in leather for making belts, etc. You need
        a cutting board beneath and a rubber mallot to complete the tool set.
        Tess