Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Finding work that pays a decent wage

  • Sylvia Rognstad
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
      On Apr 13, 2005, at 4:42 PM, CostumeShopManager wrote:

      > Do not blame the moms who like to help out.  Without them there would
      > be
      > no theater in schools, followed by no interest in regional or
      > professional theater.  Blame a society that does not value art.
      > Society
      > wants everything fast, cheap and easy.  Theater is none of those
      > things.

      I'm not blaming moms who help out at all. But there are a lot of
      community and professional theatres that don't pay their designers and
      they always seem to be able to find ones who will work for free. I
      don't actually know if they are moms or married women with time on
      their hands, or students still living at home or what. Yes, I know it
      is a matter of supply and demand which is why it will remain an ongoing
      probably unsolvable dilemma. I have actually been able to find some
      paying design jobs in the past year that either paid enough that I
      could do them full time (summer positions) or I could keep my other
      part time jobs and still have time to do them as well, so I consider
      this a good year, although I'm still having to dip into my savings to
      pay my bills.

      I agree about living in a big city. You will find more jobs there,
      although the rent will be higher, unless you choose a location that is
      not so central to where the action is. I know you can do this in L.A.,
      since I used to live there and L.A. is a good place to choose because
      of the film and tv industry. Also New York and Chicago.

      I still say regional theatre is one fairly lucrative avenue. Not
      compared to film and tv, but compared to other live theatre. I
      interviewed one such costume designer a few years ago and wrote an
      article about him for an alumni newsletter. He seemed to be making a
      decent living with his work going back and forth among several
      theatres who hired him on a consistent basis. He started out assisting
      a big designer and I gather that is how he got his lucky break and
      managed to work his way into the regional theatre circuit. So I highly
      recommend working as a design assistant. That usually means living in
      a big city though where big designers work.

      Are there any regional theatre designers on this list who have
      something to chime in about?

      And yes, contacts are the most important thing! Make as many as
      possible.

      Sylrog

    • williamson
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 14, 2005
        How right this is. I worked on the stage for twenty years before taking
        time out to do costume and design (first love) at the London College of
        Fashion. Having graduated at the 'mature' age of 44 I have made a concious
        decision not to try to begin all over again in this costuming field for all
        the reasons already stated. I love 'knowing how' and 'being able to' - but
        mostly I get aproached to do alterations or peoples curtains, now that I
        'know how to sew'. Sigh. I tell people I can't make clothes, but if they
        want a boned, piano-felted, reversible leather doublet with slashing and
        hand detailed finishing, then I'm their gal - but it'll cost 'em!
        jules

        Society ..
        wants everything fast, cheap and easy. Theater is none of those things.

      • Randolph Keator
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 14, 2005
          Catslave ? Any cousin to Felinestoy ? Seriously, I'm going to sound
          unrealistic but the first and most important thing you need to ask yourself
          is ;" Do I love what I'm doing enough to be doing it whether I get paid for
          it or not ? " I do what I do because I really do love it. For me it's not
          really a job, it's a passion. The pay is a fringe benefit. I gave up the
          "big" money and high stress shows ( some of you know exactly what I'm
          talking about ) to do community theatre. I still do special effects makeup
          and some pretty fancy and elaborate costumes, but I don't have the headaches
          associated with "the big leagues". If what you really want is " THE BIG
          MONEY " then you will have to go where it is . If that means moving to a
          different location, then that's what you may need to do, at least for a
          while until you can get your work noticed by the "right" people. The biggest
          question is ; What are you willing to sacrifice ? Sounds harsh I know, but
          reality often is. Wish you all the good fortune possible.(~:
        • Cynthia Spilsted