Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] How do I liquidate a costume studio?

  • Heidi Hobson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
      I know you were talking about making money off it, but thats really not going to be worth the time and heartbreak no matter how you go about it or how much money you make. Have you considered this: donate them to a local high school, or maybe just loan pieces that you have to schools and community groups (community theatre, churches, etc.) and that way, if you do want to get back into it, you still have the costumes. Also, they will have been put to good use in the meantime and you will be repaid-not in cash, but in satisfaction. Maybe you could even work it out so that, in exchange for the use of the costumes, you could see the plays and the costumes put to good, loving, and worthwhile use. I have done costumes for school plays, and even though all the costumers are volunteers, we're always REALLY hardpressed to get the costumes done well, in time, and in budget(which often gets cut with little notice).

      Food for thought,
      Heidi

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005
        What about contacting local costume shops (rental houses or professional),
        and also nearby colleges with theater departments? They might be thrilled to
        buy some things off of you. Also, are there any regional theateres nearby?
        They might like to see what you have too.
        As for me, I completely understand the burnout. Been thinking about
        getting out myself for a while now. It's hard once it's in your blood...

        Christine

      • D Hartshorn
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005
          Hello,
          I'm involved with a 501c3 non profit reenactment group in Colorado. We do Victorian events and usually have our volunteers try to dress in Victorian and period clothing. Many of volunteers are students. I would be interested in buying some of the costumes or if you are interested in a tax right off that would work too.
          Please contact me
          Thank you so much

          With Warmest Regards
          Dianne

          Not All Who Wander Are Lost
          J.R.R. Tolkien

          Take A Step Back In Time
          Visit Blanche's Place
          Vintage Inspired Clothing and Gifts
          http://www.blanchesplace.com
          What about contacting local costume shops (rental houses or professional),
          and also nearby colleges with theater departments? They might be thrilled to
          buy some things off of you. Also, are there any regional theateres nearby?
          They might like to see what you have too.
          As for me, I completely understand the burnout. Been thinking about
          getting out myself for a while now. It's hard once it's in your blood...

          Christine

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor