Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] How do I liquidate a costume studio?

  • Brad Gould
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
      Dear Elizabeth,

      I know that it could be harder this way, but is there anyway that you could store it and forget about it for a year or two? I got very burnt out from costuming in professional theatre a number of years ago. I ended up getting myself into very bad shape, and then did nothing remotely related to fabric for about two years. I ended up working hanging drywall. It was the best thing that I could have done. I would recommend, if you can, stuffing it all into boxes and forgetting about it as much as possible. Good luck, but remember that you have a very valuable resource there.
      Brad

      catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

      Part of this comes after a particularly difficult robbery and
      vandalism two days before Final Dress,and part comes from a bad case
      of Job Burnout,but...

      There will soon come a time when I don't want to do this anymore.But
      my studio is full of the many things accumulated from 35 years
      of "maybe I'll need this for a show someday":Costumes,jewelry,files
      and FILES of patterns,expensive
      books,fixtures,fabrics,racks,etc,etc...And it's worth some money.Any
      suggestions on how to proceed with as little pain as possible? I've
      had costume sales in the past, but this will be especially
      painful.Is there ANY other way than One At A Time on the infamous
      EBay?

      And even if I DID want to do this until I Dropped in the Traces,how
      would someone ELSE get rid of it all? Elizabeth The Sad

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Heidi Hobson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
        I know you were talking about making money off it, but thats really not going to be worth the time and heartbreak no matter how you go about it or how much money you make. Have you considered this: donate them to a local high school, or maybe just loan pieces that you have to schools and community groups (community theatre, churches, etc.) and that way, if you do want to get back into it, you still have the costumes. Also, they will have been put to good use in the meantime and you will be repaid-not in cash, but in satisfaction. Maybe you could even work it out so that, in exchange for the use of the costumes, you could see the plays and the costumes put to good, loving, and worthwhile use. I have done costumes for school plays, and even though all the costumers are volunteers, we're always REALLY hardpressed to get the costumes done well, in time, and in budget(which often gets cut with little notice).

        Food for thought,
        Heidi

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005
          What about contacting local costume shops (rental houses or professional),
          and also nearby colleges with theater departments? They might be thrilled to
          buy some things off of you. Also, are there any regional theateres nearby?
          They might like to see what you have too.
          As for me, I completely understand the burnout. Been thinking about
          getting out myself for a while now. It's hard once it's in your blood...

          Christine

        • D Hartshorn
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005
            Hello,
            I'm involved with a 501c3 non profit reenactment group in Colorado. We do Victorian events and usually have our volunteers try to dress in Victorian and period clothing. Many of volunteers are students. I would be interested in buying some of the costumes or if you are interested in a tax right off that would work too.
            Please contact me
            Thank you so much

            With Warmest Regards
            Dianne

            Not All Who Wander Are Lost
            J.R.R. Tolkien

            Take A Step Back In Time
            Visit Blanche's Place
            Vintage Inspired Clothing and Gifts
            http://www.blanchesplace.com
            What about contacting local costume shops (rental houses or professional),
            and also nearby colleges with theater departments? They might be thrilled to
            buy some things off of you. Also, are there any regional theateres nearby?
            They might like to see what you have too.
            As for me, I completely understand the burnout. Been thinking about
            getting out myself for a while now. It's hard once it's in your blood...

            Christine

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor