Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] How do I liquidate a costume studio?

  • Sheila Martinez
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3 8:59 AM
      I say, give yourself a couple of months, learn how to make soap, then recheck your status. You may find a new outlook on life. Just my humble opinion.
      sheila

      catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

      Part of this comes after a particularly difficult robbery and
      vandalism two days before Final Dress,and part comes from a bad case
      of Job Burnout,but...

      There will soon come a time when I don't want to do this anymore.But
      my studio is full of the many things accumulated from 35 years
      of "maybe I'll need this for a show someday":Costumes,jewelry,files
      and FILES of patterns,expensive
      books,fixtures,fabrics,racks,etc,etc...And it's worth some money.Any
      suggestions on how to proceed with as little pain as possible? I've
      had costume sales in the past, but this will be especially
      painful.Is there ANY other way than One At A Time on the infamous
      EBay?

      And even if I DID want to do this until I Dropped in the Traces,how
      would someone ELSE get rid of it all? Elizabeth The Sad

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Brad Gould

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3 5:04 PM
          I know you were talking about making money off it, but thats really not going to be worth the time and heartbreak no matter how you go about it or how much money you make. Have you considered this: donate them to a local high school, or maybe just loan pieces that you have to schools and community groups (community theatre, churches, etc.) and that way, if you do want to get back into it, you still have the costumes. Also, they will have been put to good use in the meantime and you will be repaid-not in cash, but in satisfaction. Maybe you could even work it out so that, in exchange for the use of the costumes, you could see the plays and the costumes put to good, loving, and worthwhile use. I have done costumes for school plays, and even though all the costumers are volunteers, we're always REALLY hardpressed to get the costumes done well, in time, and in budget(which often gets cut with little notice).

          Food for thought,
          Heidi

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9 8:40 AM
            What about contacting local costume shops (rental houses or professional),
            and also nearby colleges with theater departments? They might be thrilled to
            buy some things off of you. Also, are there any regional theateres nearby?
            They might like to see what you have too.
            As for me, I completely understand the burnout. Been thinking about
            getting out myself for a while now. It's hard once it's in your blood...

            Christine

          • D Hartshorn
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9 10:28 AM
              Hello,
              I'm involved with a 501c3 non profit reenactment group in Colorado. We do Victorian events and usually have our volunteers try to dress in Victorian and period clothing. Many of volunteers are students. I would be interested in buying some of the costumes or if you are interested in a tax right off that would work too.
              Please contact me
              Thank you so much

              With Warmest Regards
              Dianne

              Not All Who Wander Are Lost
              J.R.R. Tolkien

              Take A Step Back In Time
              Visit Blanche's Place
              Vintage Inspired Clothing and Gifts
              http://www.blanchesplace.com
              What about contacting local costume shops (rental houses or professional),
              and also nearby colleges with theater departments? They might be thrilled to
              buy some things off of you. Also, are there any regional theateres nearby?
              They might like to see what you have too.
              As for me, I completely understand the burnout. Been thinking about
              getting out myself for a while now. It's hard once it's in your blood...

              Christine

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor