Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] How do I liquidate a costume studio?

  • Maggie Baker
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
      HUGS! Sorry to hear of such unfortunate events.

      What may be a help is if you can find a professional
      auctioneer/auction house - the kind that people hire
      for estate sales. They could set it all up for you and
      take care of the selling. Ebay would just be to
      difficult I think. Best of luck!

      - Maggie
      I'm interested to know where you are too. I'd love to
      see what you have available.

      --- catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

      > Part of this comes after a particularly difficult
      > robbery and
      > vandalism two days before Final Dress,and part comes
      > from a bad case
      > of Job Burnout,but...
      >
      > There will soon come a time when I don't want to do
      > this anymore.But
      > my studio is full of the many things accumulated
      > from 35 years
      > of "maybe I'll need this for a show
      > someday":Costumes,jewelry,files
      > and FILES of patterns,expensive
      > books,fixtures,fabrics,racks,etc,etc...And it's
      > worth some money.Any
      > suggestions on how to proceed with as little pain as
      > possible? I've
      > had costume sales in the past, but this will be
      > especially
      > painful.Is there ANY other way than One At A Time on
      > the infamous
      > EBay?
      >
      > And even if I DID want to do this until I Dropped in
      > the Traces,how
      > would someone ELSE get rid of it all? Elizabeth
      > The Sad

      __________________________________
      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
    • elizabeth lillie
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
        Like Maggie - I too am very sorry to hear of your problems. In our local theatre group we have particular difficulty with storage but letting go of anything, regardless of the reason is hard (and sad). I am in Southern NJ and would be interested.

        I must also agree with Maggie - a professional auctioneer might be the best way to go. Fewer headaches and heartaches for you. They require a percentage of the proceeds or a flat fee but this can be arranged in advance and usually will have means by which the event receives and generates some publicity. It is worth considering.

        Best of luck.

        Elizabeth

        Maggie Baker <costumedesigner@...> wrote:
        HUGS! Sorry to hear of such unfortunate events.

        What may be a help is if you can find a professional
        auctioneer/auction house - the kind that people hire
        for estate sales. They could set it all up for you and
        take care of the selling. Ebay would just be to
        difficult I think. Best of luck!

        - Maggie
        I'm interested to know where you are too. I'd love to
        see what you have available.

        --- catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

        > Part of this comes after a particularly difficult
        > robbery and
        > vandalism two days before Final Dress,and part comes
        > from a bad case
        > of Job Burnout,but...
        >
        > There will soon come a time when I don't want to do
        > this anymore.But
        > my studio is full of the many things accumulated
        > from 35 years
        > of "maybe I'll need this for a show
        > someday":Costumes,jewelry,files
        > and FILES of patterns,expensive
        > books,fixtures,fabrics,racks,etc,etc...And it's
        > worth some money.Any
        > suggestions on how to proceed with as little pain as
        > possible? I've
        > had costume sales in the past, but this will be
        > especially
        > painful.Is there ANY other way than One At A Time on
        > the infamous
        > EBay?
        >
        > And even if I DID want to do this until I Dropped in
        > the Traces,how
        > would someone ELSE get rid of it all? Elizabeth
        > The Sad

        __________________________________
        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Sheila Martinez

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
              I know you were talking about making money off it, but thats really not going to be worth the time and heartbreak no matter how you go about it or how much money you make. Have you considered this: donate them to a local high school, or maybe just loan pieces that you have to schools and community groups (community theatre, churches, etc.) and that way, if you do want to get back into it, you still have the costumes. Also, they will have been put to good use in the meantime and you will be repaid-not in cash, but in satisfaction. Maybe you could even work it out so that, in exchange for the use of the costumes, you could see the plays and the costumes put to good, loving, and worthwhile use. I have done costumes for school plays, and even though all the costumers are volunteers, we're always REALLY hardpressed to get the costumes done well, in time, and in budget(which often gets cut with little notice).

              Food for thought,
              Heidi

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005
                What about contacting local costume shops (rental houses or professional),
                and also nearby colleges with theater departments? They might be thrilled to
                buy some things off of you. Also, are there any regional theateres nearby?
                They might like to see what you have too.
                As for me, I completely understand the burnout. Been thinking about
                getting out myself for a while now. It's hard once it's in your blood...

                Christine

              • D Hartshorn
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 9, 2005
                  Hello,
                  I'm involved with a 501c3 non profit reenactment group in Colorado. We do Victorian events and usually have our volunteers try to dress in Victorian and period clothing. Many of volunteers are students. I would be interested in buying some of the costumes or if you are interested in a tax right off that would work too.
                  Please contact me
                  Thank you so much

                  With Warmest Regards
                  Dianne

                  Not All Who Wander Are Lost
                  J.R.R. Tolkien

                  Take A Step Back In Time
                  Visit Blanche's Place
                  Vintage Inspired Clothing and Gifts
                  http://www.blanchesplace.com
                  What about contacting local costume shops (rental houses or professional),
                  and also nearby colleges with theater departments? They might be thrilled to
                  buy some things off of you. Also, are there any regional theateres nearby?
                  They might like to see what you have too.
                  As for me, I completely understand the burnout. Been thinking about
                  getting out myself for a while now. It's hard once it's in your blood...

                  Christine

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor