How do I liquidate a costume studio?

  • catslave54
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3 7:33 AM
      Part of this comes after a particularly difficult robbery and
      vandalism two days before Final Dress,and part comes from a bad case
      of Job Burnout,but...

      There will soon come a time when I don't want to do this anymore.But
      my studio is full of the many things accumulated from 35 years
      of "maybe I'll need this for a show someday":Costumes,jewelry,files
      and FILES of patterns,expensive
      books,fixtures,fabrics,racks,etc,etc...And it's worth some money.Any
      suggestions on how to proceed with as little pain as possible? I've
      had costume sales in the past, but this will be especially
      painful.Is there ANY other way than One At A Time on the infamous
      EBay?

      And even if I DID want to do this until I Dropped in the Traces,how
      would someone ELSE get rid of it all? Elizabeth The Sad
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3 8:16 AM
        Elizabeth

        Even though we don't know each ohter, I am SO sorry to hear of this.

        Where are you located? Could you speak with the local high school drama club/local theatres, etc...

        If you're anywhere near me (NW New Jersey) and I can help in any way, please let me know.

        <hug>
        Chris G.

        catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

        Part of this comes after a particularly difficult robbery and
        vandalism two days before Final Dress,and part comes from a bad case
        of Job Burnout,but...

        There will soon come a time when I don't want to do this anymore.But
        my studio is full of the many things accumulated from 35 years
        of "maybe I'll need this for a show someday":Costumes,jewelry,files
        and FILES of patterns,expensive
        books,fixtures,fabrics,racks,etc,etc...And it's worth some money.Any
        suggestions on how to proceed with as little pain as possible? I've
        had costume sales in the past, but this will be especially
        painful.Is there ANY other way than One At A Time on the infamous
        EBay?

        And even if I DID want to do this until I Dropped in the Traces,how
        would someone ELSE get rid of it all? Elizabeth The Sad

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Maggie Baker
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3 8:26 AM
          HUGS! Sorry to hear of such unfortunate events.

          What may be a help is if you can find a professional
          auctioneer/auction house - the kind that people hire
          for estate sales. They could set it all up for you and
          take care of the selling. Ebay would just be to
          difficult I think. Best of luck!

          - Maggie
          I'm interested to know where you are too. I'd love to
          see what you have available.

          --- catslave54 <zimmermanel@...> wrote:

          > Part of this comes after a particularly difficult
          > robbery and
          > vandalism two days before Final Dress,and part comes
          > from a bad case
          > of Job Burnout,but...
          >
          > There will soon come a time when I don't want to do
          > this anymore.But
          > my studio is full of the many things accumulated
          > from 35 years
          > of "maybe I'll need this for a show
          > someday":Costumes,jewelry,files
          > and FILES of patterns,expensive
          > books,fixtures,fabrics,racks,etc,etc...And it's
          > worth some money.Any
          > suggestions on how to proceed with as little pain as
          > possible? I've
          > had costume sales in the past, but this will be
          > especially
          > painful.Is there ANY other way than One At A Time on
          > the infamous
          > EBay?
          >
          > And even if I DID want to do this until I Dropped in
          > the Traces,how
          > would someone ELSE get rid of it all? Elizabeth
          > The Sad

          __________________________________
          Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
        • elizabeth lillie
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3 8:53 AM
            Like Maggie - I too am very sorry to hear of your problems. In our local theatre group we have particular difficulty with storage but letting go of anything, regardless of the reason is hard (and sad). I am in Southern NJ and would be interested.

            I must also agree with Maggie - a professional auctioneer might be the best way to go. Fewer headaches and heartaches for you. They require a percentage of the proceeds or a flat fee but this can be arranged in advance and usually will have means by which the event receives and generates some publicity. It is worth considering.

            Best of luck.

            Elizabeth

            __________________________________
            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Sheila Martinez

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3 5:04 PM
                  I know you were talking about making money off it, but thats really not going to be worth the time and heartbreak no matter how you go about it or how much money you make. Have you considered this: donate them to a local high school, or maybe just loan pieces that you have to schools and community groups (community theatre, churches, etc.) and that way, if you do want to get back into it, you still have the costumes. Also, they will have been put to good use in the meantime and you will be repaid-not in cash, but in satisfaction. Maybe you could even work it out so that, in exchange for the use of the costumes, you could see the plays and the costumes put to good, loving, and worthwhile use. I have done costumes for school plays, and even though all the costumers are volunteers, we're always REALLY hardpressed to get the costumes done well, in time, and in budget(which often gets cut with little notice).

                  Food for thought,
                  Heidi

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 9 8:40 AM
                    What about contacting local costume shops (rental houses or professional),
                    and also nearby colleges with theater departments? They might be thrilled to
                    buy some things off of you. Also, are there any regional theateres nearby?
                    They might like to see what you have too.
                    As for me, I completely understand the burnout. Been thinking about
                    getting out myself for a while now. It's hard once it's in your blood...

                    Christine

                  • D Hartshorn
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 9 10:28 AM
                      Hello,
                      I'm involved with a 501c3 non profit reenactment group in Colorado. We do Victorian events and usually have our volunteers try to dress in Victorian and period clothing. Many of volunteers are students. I would be interested in buying some of the costumes or if you are interested in a tax right off that would work too.
                      Please contact me
                      Thank you so much

                      With Warmest Regards
                      Dianne

                      Not All Who Wander Are Lost
                      J.R.R. Tolkien

                      Take A Step Back In Time
                      Visit Blanche's Place
                      Vintage Inspired Clothing and Gifts
                      http://www.blanchesplace.com
                      What about contacting local costume shops (rental houses or professional),
                      and also nearby colleges with theater departments? They might be thrilled to
                      buy some things off of you. Also, are there any regional theateres nearby?
                      They might like to see what you have too.
                      As for me, I completely understand the burnout. Been thinking about
                      getting out myself for a while now. It's hard once it's in your blood...

                      Christine

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor