Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Fake pregnant belly

  • Alainngeal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      You might want to take a look at this site for ideas, as it sounds a lot like
      what you're planning to make:

      http://www.empathybelly.org/home.html

      I think what they achieve with their belly is pretty amazing (i.e., weight
      gain of 30 pounds, simulated fetal kicking movements, shallow breathing and
      shortness of breath, increased blood pressure, pulse and body temp, bladder
      pressure and frequency of urination, low backaches; shift in center of gravity;
      waddling, fatigue, irritability, and more).

      I'd say the most important effects to simulate for the game you wish to play
      would be the 30 pounds of weight (with heavy, floppy breasts if possible) and
      the sense of restriction and shortness of breath--you essentially want to make
      it impossible to bend over. Perhaps a corset-like construction would be
      helpful so that it will be constricting as well as multi-sized? Bags of metal shot
      might be a good weight, possibly in combination with plastic pellets (or
      lentils if you want to save money).

      It's really a cool idea for a baby shower. I'm going on eight months pregnant
      right now and I'm sure it's pretty amusing to see me try to pick stuff up off
      the floor--though my husband and daughter know better than to laugh at me! ;
      )

      Good luck.

      ~Fairchild

    • CostumeShopManager
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Doll pellets are great for filling because they do not sprout in
        moisture like beans and birdseed. You can't always guarantee that
        storage remains dry. Rice, uncooked not the minute variety, can also be
        a good nonsprouting filler.