A little help from the WWII crowd...

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
      Greetings all...

      Yet again, I turn to the community for assistance in
      tracking down some items. A segment of our evening show on
      the park this year is entitled, "Hollywood Goes To War",
      and is a salute of the musicals done during the WWII era.
      We are in need of six US Army Dress Uniforms accurate to
      the era. They do not necessarily all need to belong to the
      same unit; but the director specifically wants them all to
      be Army. They also do not to be authentic,
      necessarily...they just need to LOOK authentic.

      If anyone can suggest some sites for research, purchasing,
      etc, I would TRULY appreciate it. I have been doing some
      looking around on my own, and will continue to do so; but
      my own efforts thus far have been...ah...somewhat less than
      satisfactory, shall we say? (In other words, I ain't found
      JACK that helps me...) I'd also appreciate it if you can
      email this info to me direct; I don't want to load up
      everyone else's inbox with my problems.

      Thanks, in advance, for any assistance!

      =====
      Curtis Kidd

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Curtis Kidd
        <gckidd@y...> wrote:
        > "Hollywood Goes To War",
        > during the WWII era.
        > We are in need of six US Army Dress Uniforms accurate to
        > the era. They do not necessarily all need to belong to the
        > same unit; but the director specifically wants them all to
        > be Army. They also do not to be authentic,
        > necessarily...they just need to LOOK authentic.
        > =====
        > Curtis Kidd

        Two movies, Patton and Memphis Belle, seem to be correctly costumed
        (Belle checks against the Memphis Belle documentary) and include some
        dress unis. However, caveat, Hollywood dug in on the peoples' war
        side of WWII, reflecting the tenor of society as a whole, and I do
        not recall many dress uniforms, My father was a captain, and never
        owned one. Most scenes from movies at the time (non-battle) would be
        khaki pants, shirt, brown tie (tucked into shirt left, often), olive
        web barracks belt w metal clamp buckle, dark shoes, 'overseas' cap
        either on the head or tucked left into belt. Unless you're doing
        dancing generals with Mel Brooks....
        The Army did publish regulations, and you ought to beable to find a
        copy for the period; it could take some time, but, someone in the
        Army has one (post libraries?), and it will tell you exactly what you
        need.
        And, as much as you contribute here, Curtis, you needn't apologize
        for starting another thread. Luck!
        John
      • serenpoly
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 7:06 PM
          <gckidd@y...> wrote:
          > Greetings all...
          >
          > Yet again, I turn to the community for assistance in
          > tracking down some items. A segment of our evening show on
          > the park this year is entitled, "Hollywood Goes To War",
          > and is a salute of the musicals done during the WWII era.
          > We are in need of six US Army Dress Uniforms accurate to
          > the era. <<snip>>

          Here you go:

          /0811725952/ref=pd_sbs_b_3/103-4162587-8086262?%
          5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

          Otherwise known as "U.S. Army Uniforns of World War II". I 'searched
          in the book' and immediately found "dress blues and whites" starting
          on page 11. Not bad price at under $14, either; I may get one
          myself. (My late father, the WWII-vet motion picture costumer with
          specialties in Westerns and uniforms would be proud...)

          HTH.

          -- Emc^2
        • serenpoly
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1 7:45 PM