Re: Sewing Patterns

  • Ruth & Ana
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2005
      1) Period Patterns. These patterns were written and designed by persons
      (unnamed) in the Society for Creative Anachronisms, who had achieved the
      awarded rank of "Laurel" in the specific costuming area. They are very
      unreliable as to quality of fit, construction and instructions. In some
      cases, even their authenticity may be questionable, although they are
      probably more authentic than commercial patterns.

      I spent several months, some years ago, doing a manual edit and check
      on many of them for the publisher, and was aghast at the problems I
      found. I am not aware that she (who is a friend) has incorporated my
      edits or notes.
      I recommend these patterns only for knowledgeable, advanced renaissance
      tailors, who use them for convenience, but who understand that they may
      need adaptation and "fixing".

      2) Costume Connection. It has been almost a decade since the lawsuit,
      so I will now talk about it. At one time, the owner of Period Patterns
      licensed her patterns to be sold by the folks at Costume Connection.
      Soon thereafter, they started producing their own line of patterns, many
      of which were amazingly similar to hers. She (PP) sued for infringement
      of copywrite. The case was settled out of court for terms which remain
      secret to this day, in accordance with the terms of the settlement.

      I have never used CC patterns, but I understand that they are simpler to
      use than Period Patterns, although they may not be as "authentic".

      Have you found Richard the Thread and Moi Randall? They are supposed to
      be reasonably authentic.

      Ana