  • vickdamom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2002
      thanks...will check it out!..Vicky
    • rermisch
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2002

           Hi!
           You can find a lot of patterns for 1900s under suppliers on this site. I have bought some great ones from both Amazon Drygoods and Alter Years.
            However, "southern belle" is usually thought to be more in the 1860s hoop skirt style.        Beck

        From: vickdamom@...

        Message: 1
        Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:48:30 EST
        From: vickdamom@...
        Subject: new member

        Just found this great site! I'm an amateur designer and costumer for our
        local community theater. I'm looking for some input and possibly some
        patterns for the late 1900s "Southern Belle." Any input would be appreciated.
        Thanks..Vicky

      • dldnmb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 14, 2002
          There are several patterns in Simplicity that are pretty "authenic" Southern
          Belle gowns. I especially like the under garments patten. It can be a great
          starting point for shape of the era.

          Also, I get ideas from Tom Tierney's paperdoll books. His paperdolls envolve
          a lot of research so you can depend on them being accurate to the period.

          D.L.
          Ides of March Design Group, Ltd.
        • BowieGirl1982@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 14, 2002
            I love Tom Teirney's paper doll books!!  However, they're hard to get hold of over here in England.  I've got his Henry VIII one which is soo cool.

            Anyway, thanks for the answers on designing, they were really helpful and kinda what I was thinking anyway.  Good to know I'm on the right track!

            I have another question:

            If there is anyone in the UK on the list, what magazines do you read that relate to costume, if any?  I'd like to hear what you guys in America read too, just so I can get a rough idea.

            Thanks
            Jo
          • Michelle Davidson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 14, 2002
              I also love Tom Tierney's paper doll books! Is
              Amazon.com available to you? There's a lot of his
              books available through them.

              --- BowieGirl1982@... wrote:
              > I love Tom Teirney's paper doll books!! However,
              > they're hard to get hold of
              > over here in England. I've got his Henry VIII one
              > which is soo cool.
              >
              > Anyway, thanks for the answers on designing, they
              > were really helpful and
              > kinda what I was thinking anyway. Good to know I'm
              > on the right track!
              >
              > I have another question:
              >
              > If there is anyone in the UK on the list, what
              > magazines do you read that
              > relate to costume, if any? I'd like to hear what
              > you guys in America read
              > too, just so I can get a rough idea.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Jo