Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Making a fat suit

  • Chrispygirl222@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
      I've worked with a lot of fat suits, and I would say definitely go with foam
      instead of batting, or poly stuffing, which always bunches up and gets lumpy
      over time. I would use a white t-shirt base with a snap crotch, and add
      molded foam to the hips, belly and breasts, and butt if needed. Use a knife to
      smooth the edges, and sew spandex pockets to the t-shirt to hold the foam in
      place. It's really best to use snap tape or velcro on these pockets so you
      can remove the padding for washing. Sometimes the foam holds so much water,
      the darn thing never dries in time. If the guy sweats a lot, or if you have
      two shows...you just always have to be aware of drying time. The foam in the
      home dec dept. of any fabric store would be fine, and the airier or lighter
      the better, as long as it can hold shape. Hope this helps!

      Christine

    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        Thanks to you and Curtis for the info. I guess foam is the way to go.
        Do you know where to buy the really lightweight foam? And what about
        putting boobs in the suit? How would you do that?

        Sylrog

        On Jan 31, 2005, at 7:05 PM, Chrispygirl222@... wrote:

        > I've worked with a lot of fat suits, and I would say definitely go
        > with� foam
        > instead of batting, or poly stuffing, which always bunches up and
        > gets� lumpy
        > over time.� I would use a white t-shirt base with a snap crotch, and�
        > add
        > molded foam to the hips, belly and breasts, and butt if needed.� Use
        > a� knife to
        > smooth the edges, and sew spandex pockets to the t-shirt to hold the�
        > foam in
        > place.� It's really best to use snap tape or velcro on these� pockets
        > so you
        > can remove the padding for washing.� Sometimes the foam� holds so
        > much water,
        > the darn thing never dries in time.� If the guy sweats� a lot, or if
        > you have
        > two shows...you just always have to be aware of� drying time.� The
        > foam in the
        > home dec dept. of any fabric store would be� fine, and the airier or
        > lighter
        > the better, as long as it can hold shape. Hope� this helps!
        >
        > Christine���

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > �
        > �
        > Service.

      • serenpoly
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
          Buy a large-cup bra and attach it over the rest of the suit. Stuff
          cups with foam scraps. If you care about what it looks like, cover
          with another t-shirt.

          When we had one of Cinderella's Ugly Stepsisters in a fat suit at our
          outdoors-in-the-summer-in-San-Bernardino-CA theater, she nearly died
          from the heat every night. If you aren't dealing with 110-degree
          days, it may not be a problem for you, but if it is, remember to
          provide plenty of water (small fragments of ice to suck on slowly are
          also good), and maybe a cool place backstage for your actor when
          he/she's off. Cool water running over the inside of the wrist for a
          minute or two will help carry off excess heat, too.

          We finally had to build pockets _inside_ the suit, and stick Blue Ice
          packs in there to keep her even remotely comfortable... Just be sure
          the Blue Ice doesn't actually touch the actor's skin.

          HTH.

          -- Emc^2

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
          <sylvia@n...> wrote:
          > Thanks to you and Curtis for the info. I guess foam is the way to
          go.
          > Do you know where to buy the really lightweight foam? And what
          about
          > putting boobs in the suit? How would you do that?
          >
          > Sylrog

        • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
            At 11:39 AM 2/1/2005, you wrote:
            >We finally had to build pockets _inside_ the suit, and stick Blue Ice
            >packs in there to keep her even remotely comfortable... Just be sure
            >the Blue Ice doesn't actually touch the actor's skin.

            You will also want to be sure that the blue ice is not directly over the
            heart, kidneys or the armpits. (The sides of the neck over the major
            arteries are also areas to avoid,)

            Pierre

            >HTH.
            >
            >-- Emc^2
            >
            >--- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Sylvia Rognstad
            ><sylvia@n...> wrote:
            > > Thanks to you and Curtis for the info. I guess foam is the way to
            >go.
            > > Do you know where to buy the really lightweight foam? And what
            >about
            > > putting boobs in the suit? How would you do that?
            > >
            > > Sylrog

            "Those Who Fail To Learn History
            Are Doomed to Repeat It;
            Why They Are Simply Doomed.