Old English Costumes book at the Manifesto

  • neimhaille
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2002
      Kia ora.

      I've looked at the images from the V&A's 1908 Old English Costume at
      the Costumer's Manifesto.. and have finally desiced that I'm sure it
      is the same book as I copied from while at University. Maybe;)
      Sadly while I was there, I did not think to copy down the title (I
      remember Costume and English making up the most of the tile) or the
      publisher, as the book is now no longer for loan.

      At the back were a series of hand drawn pattern sketches. I have most
      of the patterns still as well as the acompanying photos of the actual
      costumes. The one that really makes me sure it's the same book, or
      sister publication, it the outfit on the cover at the site. The book
      I got hold of did not have this cover. It was very small, smaller
      than Kohler.

      Is this the same book? I'd just like tobe able to put the book
      details on my notes, and then if I can find the book to buy:). I
      think something happened to the Uni copy, as it is not listed in
      their catalogue.

      If anyone has further light to shed on this little gem of a book,
      please let me know:)

      michaela
    • thecostumersmanifesto
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2002
        Alas I'm thinking this is another book, since there are no patterns in
        the "Old Costumes" V&A book, it is also pretty lare in format, around
        10x13. I wonder if you are talking about Blanche Payne's book (I
        don't recall the name) but that is big too. Hmmm. --Tara

        > I've looked at the images from the V&A's 1908 Old English Costume at
        > the Costumer's Manifesto.. and have finally desiced that I'm sure it
        > is the same book as I copied from while at University. Maybe;)
        > Sadly while I was there, I did not think to copy down the title (I
        > remember Costume and English making up the most of the tile) or the
        > publisher, as the book is now no longer for loan.
        >
        > At the back were a series of hand drawn pattern sketches. I have
        most
        > of the patterns still as well as the acompanying photos of the
        actual
        > costumes. The one that really makes me sure it's the same book, or
        > sister publication, it the outfit on the cover at the site. The book
        > I got hold of did not have this cover. It was very small, smaller
        > than Kohler.
        >
        > Is this the same book? I'd just like tobe able to put the book
        > details on my notes, and then if I can find the book to buy:). I
        > think something happened to the Uni copy, as it is not listed in
        > their catalogue.
        >
        > If anyone has further light to shed on this little gem of a book,
        > please let me know:)
        >
        > michaela
      • neimhaille
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 20, 2002
          > Alas I'm thinking this is another book, since there are no patterns
          in
          > the "Old Costumes" V&A book, it is also pretty lare in format,
          around
          > 10x13. I wonder if you are talking about Blanche Payne's book (I
          > don't recall the name) but that is big too. Hmmm. --Tara

          Kia ora,
          no it's not the Blanche payne, but that is one I have on near
          permanent loan;).

          I just uploaded two images fromt he book to the photo section of the
          list.
          The first is the dress that also appears in your book, and the second
          is the pattern that accompanies it. There are a *lot* of patterns in
          the back section. I have a feeling this book has actually been lost,
          as it is not in the catalogue.

          Now that I have my copies in front of me, I'll see just how many also
          appear in the scans at your site. The costumes in this book are fromt
          he 17thC to the 1870s. I know it's from around the same time as yours
          as the models in the dresses, as well as the dress forms have the
          shape of the early 20thC, no later though than the early teens.

          michaela