Dyeing facial hair

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2005
      > From: "Anna M.C." <annamc@...>
      > Subject: Dyeing Crepe wool
      >
      > It says it's a "full wool beard." I'm assuming crepe
      > wool -- is this a
      > fair assumption? If so, would it be possible to dye it
      > with hair dye?

      I've never tried dyeing crepe wool...but a 'full wool
      beard' is not necessarily crepe wool. I have used goat
      wool to make a beard before, yak hair is commonly used as
      well. The goat wool would dye fairly well, I have no idea
      about the dye-taking properties of yak hair (I don't think
      anyone ever bothers, because it's typically only used when
      you want a coarser, dark hair).

      Crepe wool, for all its ease-of-use, makes relatively poor
      facial hair, because it's too fine (trust me on this, I've
      had facial hair for a long time and it's much coarser than
      regular hair). This leads me to believe the 'full wool'
      means something other than crepe wool...although most wools
      are also much finer than typical facial hair.

      However, from the sound of things, it is, at the very
      least, a natural fiber...which means it should take a dye
      fairly well. Getting it to dye a shade similar to your own
      may be another matter altogether (yet another reason to
      question it being crepe wool...that stuff is available in
      so many different shades that you pretty much would never
      have to dye it unless you were absolutely
      desperate...because you could buy a hank of the
      appropriately-colored crepe wool for about the same price
      as the dye and the time spent working on it).

      So...wish I had a clear-cut answer for you; but the best I
      can do is state I doubt it's crepe wool, and while it
      should take a dye well, I don't know how true to color it
      will dye.

      > Help? : )
      >
      > Anna M.C.

      =====