Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Traveling

  • Kathy Pawl
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
      Unless you are traveling with a performing company that has made arangements with the airlines for handling cargo - I would advise against trying to get it on the plane. It's possible that they have some kind of CARGO clissification it might fall into, you can check with the airlines. You can probably find an Air Cargo shipping company in your local yellow pages if the airlines says no - they might even be able to recommend someone. FedEx and UPS will probably be too expensive. The one time I had to ship my machine it went by an air cargo company. I had them ship it to the hotel and I personally wrote all my hotel reservation info ON THE BOX so the hotel would know to hold it for me. Everything got there in one piece I'm happy to say.

      Workwise is a bit trickier - you may get stuck working in the choreographers living room.

      Good luck and dress warm!

      Katherine <kwscoggins@...> wrote:

      Hi all,
      I'm looking for suggestions and any neat ideas any of you have used in
      traveling with your work. With the distance I'm now living from most of my
      clients, I'm needing to fly for most of my jobs. Since the airlines have
      had to tighten up on how many bags you can check and what you can carry on
      board, I'm starting to have problems with how to take everything I need. On
      the next trip, I have to take the serger. I just ordered a hardside case
      for it (on wheels). I'll pick up my old workhorse sewing machine in Denver
      so I don't have to take it on the plane. But I still have to take all the
      other supplies (needles, pins, thread, scissors, rulers, etc.) as well as
      enough clothes to handle 3 weeks. My carry-on has to be the laptop. The
      other issue is a place to work (hotels are the pits. A condo is always
      nice, but it's ski season in Aspen and I doubt they'll be able to get me a
      condo). I was really hoping that this choreographer would make up his mind
      on what he wanted so I could get it done in my shop before I come, but it
      looks like I won't even get to order the fabric before I leave here.

      Any helpful ideas?

      Kathy