Re: tutu advise

  • Katherine
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
      Hi Janelle,
      My advise would be to look at the quality of the skirt itself since that is
      the expensive part of the tutu in terms of time and/or money to make. The
      bodice is a relatively simple and inexpensive thing to redo over the years
      if the skirt has held up. Could you order 1 and check the quality of the
      skirt before you order all 22? Talk to them and see what their time frame
      is for supplying 22 tutus as well as getting one to look at before you place
      the big order.

      My only concern in a nylon bodice is that nylon tends to hold on to odors
      and will discolor from sweat. Be very judicious in airing them out after
      they've been worn. Depending on the trim, you may even be able to rinse
      them out after each wearing. Nylon usually wears well, so I wouldn't be
      worried about that necessarily. I think for the difference in price it
      would be worth it to try them.

      Let us know what you think of the overall quality of their tutus after you
      get one. I've also had good luck with WearMoiUK for unitards and leos, but
      I've never purchased their tutus (I actually enjoy making 12-pc bodice,
      pancake tutus!)

      Kathy

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
        I would also ask this question on
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sewingdancecostumes

        it is for those that design/sew dance costumes and many of the
        ladies make tutu's and might be able to help you more.

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine"
        <kwscoggins@c...> wrote:

        > Hi Janelle,
        > My advise would be to look at the quality of the skirt itself
        since that is
        > the expensive part of the tutu in terms of time and/or money to
        make. The
        > bodice is a relatively simple and inexpensive thing to redo over
        the years
        > if the skirt has held up. Could you order 1 and check the quality
        of the
        > skirt before you order all 22? Talk to them and see what their
        time frame
        > is for supplying 22 tutus as well as getting one to look at before
        you place
        > the big order.
        >
        > My only concern in a nylon bodice is that nylon tends to hold on
        to odors
        > and will discolor from sweat. Be very judicious in airing them
        out after
        > they've been worn. Depending on the trim, you may even be able to
        rinse
        > them out after each wearing. Nylon usually wears well, so I
        wouldn't be
        > worried about that necessarily. I think for the difference in
        price it
        > would be worth it to try them.
        >
        > Let us know what you think of the overall quality of their tutus
        after you
        > get one. I've also had good luck with WearMoiUK for unitards and
        leos, but
        > I've never purchased their tutus (I actually enjoy making 12-pc
        bodice,
        > pancake tutus!)
        >
        > Kathy
        >
        > > The reason I'm looking at WearMoiUK is that the unitards and
        leotards
        > > I've bought from them in the past are outstanding! Definitly not
        > > recital stuff (yikes). The service is excellent, too, and I've
        never
        > > had any trouble with special orders or shipping. Personal e-
        mails
        > > from the owner/designer (Thelma) are a big plus as well. Even
        though
        > > we've put her garments through some pretty rough choreography,
        they
        > > still look great after a few years.
        > >
        > > So my question is, do I risk a nylon bodice? Will we still be
        able
        > > to use them in four years? In eight years? These are for
        Bayadere
        > > (the Shades) so they will not be embellished. A savings of
        $2000.
        > > over the PrimaDonna set is significant, but not if we have to
        replace
        > > them too soon...
        > >
        > > Janelle

        ___