Laughing Moon Pattern 100

  • lorrwill
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      If this has already been covered, please tell me what post(s)

      I am reading the corset instuction sheet and am perplexed by
      something. Specifically, what purpose does sewing bias tape to the
      waistline serve and why on earth would you sew it to the inside of
      the corset where the stitching will show on the outside and not to
      the lining? I have read about adding twill tape to the waistline
      presumable to the lining but not bias tape which offers no stability
      at all. I must be misunderstanding something in the instructions,
      right?

      Thanks,
      Lorraine
    • Julia Logan Trimarco
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
        I haven't seen the instructions you're talking about, but it doesn't make
        sense to me either.
        Twill tape sewn to the corset would insure that the waist doesn't stretch
        out, and stays true to the original measurement. True, it doesn't seem like
        bias would do anything useful.
        As far as sewing it to the lining versus the outside: if you're referring to
        a FLATlining, then true, it would be prettier to sew it to the flatlining,
        so it would not show on the outside. However, if you are talking about a
        bag lining, of some flimsy material, the tape wouldn't have enough
        stability. I would sew it either to the flatlining, or to the outside (sewn
        neatly). After all, it is underwear, and corsets usually have many
        topstitching lines showing. One can always make a decorative corset-cover
        if it is meant to be seen.

        Julia Trimarco