Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] VIRUS ATTACK this is for real

  • Consuelo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      This email is a hoax. I'm sure whoever sent it to you didn't know about it,
      but the file you're being told to delete is NOT a virus, it's a file Windows
      uses to restore corrupted long file names. Here's the information:

      Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages
      regarding this hoax. It is
      harmless and is intended only to cause unwarranted
      concern.

      Type: Hoax

      The following hoax email was first reported in
      Brazil, and the original email was in Portuguese. Other
      language versions are in circulation. Currently,
      the English language versions are most common.

      CAUTIONS:

      This particular email message is a hoax. The
      file that is mentioned in the hoax, however,
      Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows 95/98/Me
      utility that is used to restore long file names,
      and like any .exe file, it can be infected by
      a virus that targets .exe files.

      NOTE: The Sulfnbk.exe file is not required to
      run Windows. It may be necessary if you need to
      restore long file names if the file names
      become corrupted. For additional information, read the
      Microsoft Knowledge Base article Description
      of Sulfnbk.exe and How to Replace the Program
      File (Q301316)
      The virus/worm W32.Magistr.24876@mm can arrive
      as an attachment named Sulfnbk.exe.
      The Sulfnbk.exe file used by Windows is
      located by default in the C:\Windows\Command
      folder.

      NOTE: The C:\Windows\Command folder is the
      usual default location for this file. It is possible
      that if you have a custom installation, or a
      special configuration that was installed by the
      computer manufacturer, the file could be in a
      different location.

      If the file is located in any other folder
      (except as noted), or arrives as an attachment to a
      email message, then it is possible that the
      file is infected. In this case, if a scan with the
      latest virus definitions and with NAV set to
      scan all files does not detect the file as being
      infected, quarantine and submit the file to
      SARC for analysis by following the instructions in
      the document How to submit a file to SARC
      using Scan and Deliver.

      If you have deleted the Sulfnbk.exe file from
      the C:\Windows\Command folder and want to
      know how to restore the file, see the How to
      restore the Sulfnbk.exe file section at the end
      of this document.

      _______________________________

      How to restore the Sulfnbk.exe file
      If you have deleted this file, restoration is
      optional. Sulfnbk.exe is a Microsoft Windows utility that is
      used to restore long file names. It is not needed
      for normal system operation. If you want to restore it,
      there is more than one way to do this. See the
      information that follows.

      NOTES:

      The C:\Windows\Command folder is the usual
      default location for this file. It is possible that if
      you have a custom installation, or a special
      configuration that was installed by the computer
      manufacturer, the file could be in a different
      location.
      The Sulfnbk.exe file is not required to run
      Windows. It may be necessary if you need to
      restore long file names if the file names
      become corrupted. For additional information, read the
      Microsoft Knowledge Base article Description
      of Sulfnbk.exe and How to Replace the Program
      File (Q301316)
      The instructions in this document are provided
      for your convenience. The extraction of
      Windows files uses Microsoft programs and
      commands. Symantec does not provide warranty
      support for or assistance with Microsoft
      products. If you have any questions, please see your
      Windows documentation or contact Microsoft.

      Windows Me
      If you are using Windows Me, you can restore the
      file using the System Configuration Utility.

      1. Click Start and then click Run.
      2. Type msconfig and then press Enter.
      3. Click Extract Files. The "Extract one file
      from installation disk" dialog box appears.
      4. In the "Specify the system file you would
      like to restore" box, type the following, and then
      click Start:

      c:\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe

      NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different
      location, make the appropriate substitution.

      The Extract File dialog box appears.

      5. Next to the "Restore from" box, click
      Browse, and browse to the location of the Windows
      installation files. If they were copied to the
      hard drive, this is, by default,
      C:\Windows\Options\Install. You can also
      insert the Windows installation CD in the CD-ROM
      drive and browse to that location.
      6. Click OK and follow the prompts.

      Windows 98
      If you are using Windows 98, you can restore the
      file using the System File Checker.

      1. Click Start and then click Run.
      2. Type sfc and then press Enter.
      3. Click "Extract one file from installation
      disk."
      4. In the "Specify the system file you would
      like to restore" box, type the following, and then
      click Start:

      c:\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe

      NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different
      location, make the appropriate substitution.

      The Extract File dialog box appears.

      5. Next to the "Restore from" box click
      Browse, and browse to the location of the Windows
      installation files. If they were copied to the
      hard drive, this is, by default,
      C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. You can also insert
      the Windows installation CD in the CD-ROM
      drive and browse to that location.
      6. Click OK and follow the prompts.

      Windows 95 (or alternative method for Windows
      98/Me)
      If you are using Windows 95, you need to use the
      extract command. This can also be used on
      Windows 98/Me.

      1. Click Start, point to Find or Search, and
      then click Files or Folders.
      2. Make sure that "Look in" is set to (C:) and
      that Include subfolders is checked.
      3. In the "Named" or "Search for..." box,
      type:

      precopy1

      4. Click Find Now or Search Now. If it does
      not exist on the hard drive, then insert the
      Windows installation CD and repeat the search
      on that drive.
      5. When you find the file, write down the
      location of Precopy1, for example,
      C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. This is your Source
      Path.
      6. The general form of the Extract command is:

      extract /a <Source Path>\precopy1.cab
      sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

      NOTE: Make sure that you include the /a
      switch, as shown. Depending on your version of
      Windows, the Sulfnbk,exe file can be in a .cab
      file other than Precopy1.cab. By using the /a
      switch, the Extract program will look first in
      the Precopy1.cab, and if the file is not found there,
      it will look in all subsequent .cab files
      until it is found, and can be extracted.

      So if the source path is
      C:\Windows\Options\Cabs, then the Extract command becomes:

      extract /a
      c:\windows\options\cabs\precopy1.cab sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

      NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different
      location, make the appropriate substitution.

      7. Click Start and then click Run.
      8. Type the following, making the appropriate
      substitutions as previously noted

      extract /a <Source Path>\precopy1.cab
      sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

      9. Click OK.