Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] VIRUS ATTACK this is for real

  • Greg and Dianne Stucki
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      Norton and McAfee do not detect this file, because it is NOT a virus. It's part of your computer's operating system, and is needed for your computer to be able to use long file names. Before passing on virus warnings, please go to one of the internet hoax sites ( a good is www.snopes2.com) and check it out. A good warning sign is if it tells you to pass it on to all your friends!

      Dianne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
        This email is a hoax. I'm sure whoever sent it to you didn't know about it,
        but the file you're being told to delete is NOT a virus, it's a file Windows
        uses to restore corrupted long file names. Here's the information:

        Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages
        regarding this hoax. It is
        harmless and is intended only to cause unwarranted
        concern.

        Type: Hoax

        The following hoax email was first reported in
        Brazil, and the original email was in Portuguese. Other
        language versions are in circulation. Currently,
        the English language versions are most common.

        CAUTIONS:

        This particular email message is a hoax. The
        file that is mentioned in the hoax, however,
        Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows 95/98/Me
        utility that is used to restore long file names,
        and like any .exe file, it can be infected by
        a virus that targets .exe files.

        NOTE: The Sulfnbk.exe file is not required to
        run Windows. It may be necessary if you need to
        restore long file names if the file names
        become corrupted. For additional information, read the
        Microsoft Knowledge Base article Description
        of Sulfnbk.exe and How to Replace the Program
        File (Q301316)
        The virus/worm W32.Magistr.24876@mm can arrive
        as an attachment named Sulfnbk.exe.
        The Sulfnbk.exe file used by Windows is
        located by default in the C:\Windows\Command
        folder.

        NOTE: The C:\Windows\Command folder is the
        usual default location for this file. It is possible
        that if you have a custom installation, or a
        special configuration that was installed by the
        computer manufacturer, the file could be in a
        different location.

        If the file is located in any other folder
        (except as noted), or arrives as an attachment to a
        email message, then it is possible that the
        file is infected. In this case, if a scan with the
        latest virus definitions and with NAV set to
        scan all files does not detect the file as being
        infected, quarantine and submit the file to
        SARC for analysis by following the instructions in
        the document How to submit a file to SARC
        using Scan and Deliver.

        If you have deleted the Sulfnbk.exe file from
        the C:\Windows\Command folder and want to
        know how to restore the file, see the How to
        restore the Sulfnbk.exe file section at the end
        of this document.

        _______________________________

        How to restore the Sulfnbk.exe file
        If you have deleted this file, restoration is
        optional. Sulfnbk.exe is a Microsoft Windows utility that is
        used to restore long file names. It is not needed
        for normal system operation. If you want to restore it,
        there is more than one way to do this. See the
        information that follows.

        NOTES:

        The C:\Windows\Command folder is the usual
        default location for this file. It is possible that if
        you have a custom installation, or a special
        configuration that was installed by the computer
        manufacturer, the file could be in a different
        location.
        The Sulfnbk.exe file is not required to run
        Windows. It may be necessary if you need to
        restore long file names if the file names
        become corrupted. For additional information, read the
        Microsoft Knowledge Base article Description
        of Sulfnbk.exe and How to Replace the Program
        File (Q301316)
        The instructions in this document are provided
        for your convenience. The extraction of
        Windows files uses Microsoft programs and
        commands. Symantec does not provide warranty
        support for or assistance with Microsoft
        products. If you have any questions, please see your
        Windows documentation or contact Microsoft.

        Windows Me
        If you are using Windows Me, you can restore the
        file using the System Configuration Utility.

        1. Click Start and then click Run.
        2. Type msconfig and then press Enter.
        3. Click Extract Files. The "Extract one file
        from installation disk" dialog box appears.
        4. In the "Specify the system file you would
        like to restore" box, type the following, and then
        click Start:

        c:\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe

        NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different
        location, make the appropriate substitution.

        The Extract File dialog box appears.

        5. Next to the "Restore from" box, click
        Browse, and browse to the location of the Windows
        installation files. If they were copied to the
        hard drive, this is, by default,
        C:\Windows\Options\Install. You can also
        insert the Windows installation CD in the CD-ROM
        drive and browse to that location.
        6. Click OK and follow the prompts.

        Windows 98
        If you are using Windows 98, you can restore the
        file using the System File Checker.

        1. Click Start and then click Run.
        2. Type sfc and then press Enter.
        3. Click "Extract one file from installation
        disk."
        4. In the "Specify the system file you would
        like to restore" box, type the following, and then
        click Start:

        c:\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe

        NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different
        location, make the appropriate substitution.

        The Extract File dialog box appears.

        5. Next to the "Restore from" box click
        Browse, and browse to the location of the Windows
        installation files. If they were copied to the
        hard drive, this is, by default,
        C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. You can also insert
        the Windows installation CD in the CD-ROM
        drive and browse to that location.
        6. Click OK and follow the prompts.

        Windows 95 (or alternative method for Windows
        98/Me)
        If you are using Windows 95, you need to use the
        extract command. This can also be used on
        Windows 98/Me.

        1. Click Start, point to Find or Search, and
        then click Files or Folders.
        2. Make sure that "Look in" is set to (C:) and
        that Include subfolders is checked.
        3. In the "Named" or "Search for..." box,
        type:

        precopy1

        4. Click Find Now or Search Now. If it does
        not exist on the hard drive, then insert the
        Windows installation CD and repeat the search
        on that drive.
        5. When you find the file, write down the
        location of Precopy1, for example,
        C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. This is your Source
        Path.
        6. The general form of the Extract command is:

        extract /a <Source Path>\precopy1.cab
        sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

        NOTE: Make sure that you include the /a
        switch, as shown. Depending on your version of
        Windows, the Sulfnbk,exe file can be in a .cab
        file other than Precopy1.cab. By using the /a
        switch, the Extract program will look first in
        the Precopy1.cab, and if the file is not found there,
        it will look in all subsequent .cab files
        until it is found, and can be extracted.

        So if the source path is
        C:\Windows\Options\Cabs, then the Extract command becomes:

        extract /a
        c:\windows\options\cabs\precopy1.cab sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

        NOTE: If you installed Windows to a different
        location, make the appropriate substitution.

        7. Click Start and then click Run.
        8. Type the following, making the appropriate
        substitutions as previously noted

        extract /a <Source Path>\precopy1.cab
        sulfnbk.exe /L c:\windows\command

        9. Click OK.