1830-40 Period Page Painting Mystery!

  • mrslestrange
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
      Hi, there, this is my first post.
      I've been researching 1830s dress recently to prepare for a tour I'll
      be giving as Maria Weston Chapman, and I've found some great things at
      the Costumer's Manifesto. But my favorite image has no date or other
      information! It's
      http://www.costumes.org/travel/paris2001/10/MVC-027F.JPG

      Two beautiful ladies in copper gowns and red shawls. Does anyone
      happen to know this painting? I'd love to learn more. Obviously, I
      would have referred this question to the sitekeeper, but apparently
      she receives a metric ton of e-mail per week!

      Thanks in advance,
      Lissa
      .
    • butchncleo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 19, 2004
        www.costumes.org/travel/paris2001/10/MVC-027F.JPG
        is the link so you can see the pic, you couldnt see the pic the way the link was this way you can,
        dresses are gorgeous!!!
      • mrslestrange
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 20, 2004
          Oops! Thanks for fixing that link!

        • Alainngeal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28, 2004
            In a message dated 11/19/04 3:46:16 PM, lissaleclerc@... writes:

            > http://www.costumes.org/travel/paris2001/10/MVC-027F.JPG

            Hi.

            The painting is The Two Sisters by Theodore Chasseriau, painted in 1843. It
            is in the Louvre. I don't know anything else about it, but judging by the
            bodices and where the sleeves join them, 1840s sounds right. Really a lovely
            painting. Good luck!

            ~Fairchild

          • Anna M.C.
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
              I stumbled across that painting in the Britannica today while
              looking for something else! It's called "The Two Sisters" by
              Théodore Chassériau, 1843, in the Louvre. I did a quick Google
              search, and there's quite a few mentions of it on the Internet.

              Hope it's not too late to be of some help!

              Anna M.C.

              --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "mrslestrange"