Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] TOP HAT - THANKS!

  • K Murphy
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2004
      John:

      If you live in a large metropolitan area there should be hat cleaning & repair shops listed in your yellow pages. I would also try taking the hat to a local dry-cleaning establishment that advertises tailoring & alterations. The lining needs to be done by hand by someone who doesn't necessarily know a lot about hats but does know how to do quality hand sewing.

      I'm holding in my hand a collapsible with the opposite problem -- the outside silk is shredding, but the lining is in place, so I can plainly see the construction of the lining from the outside as well as the inside. There are extra strips of baby flannel between the springs and the lining, and the lining was applied approx. 3/4" from the outside edge of the hat's tip to allow space for the mechanism. If it would be helpful, I can email you digital pictures.

      Kate
      costumerkate@...

      "John T. Soister" <john_soister@...> wrote:

      Thanks to everyone who posted (and emailed!) with suggestions for our
      Scrooge character in A CHRISTMAS CAROL. I've been doing shows with
      my high school for 7 years now & CC is the first show that's required
      my going beyond thrift-store and my "do-it-yourself" squad. That
      inverness cape website is to die for, and if I ever hit the lottery,
      I'm going to buy one of those black, formal inverness jobs for
      myself. <> Thanks to you all, I have some feelers out there on
      the "beaver" hat & will be acting according to some of your
      suggestions (including getting some cheaper lids) for everyone other
      than Ebeneezer. Some of the parents of our troupe members have had a
      cake sale & a booster club fundraiser for CC, as they want us to "do
      it right." God love 'em. <> ANOTHER QUESTION! (Aren't you glad I
      showed up?) We had a collapsible top hat donated by the grandfather
      of one of our kids, but the kid has collapsed & re-sprung the hat so
      much that the inside cloth wore away & the spring mechanism is
      blatantly naked for the world to see. I wouldn't mind, if it weren't
      for the possibility of the actor getting his hair caught in the
      spring on or offstage. Anyone know of a top hat repair shop? (Where
      DOES he get these questions?) It's a really nice hat, except for the
      deathtrap lurking inside, & I can't see it's laying around, unused by
      us, if I can get the inside cloth (a plain black cloth, so far as I
      can see) replaced for a reasonable amount. <> Again, many thanks to
      all of you for your kindness.
      John