intro and question

  • Lute
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2000
      G'morning to all,

      I'm a new reader here, but have been doing costuming for a while. I
      studied theatre for a couple years in the early 80s, then got into
      re-enacting in 1983. Got serious about history, took a degree, then
      got into museum work. Am now a trained (3 yrs incl. 1 yr internship)
      conservator, primarily books and textiles.

      Currently among my paid projects, I work at a historic site in
      Tennessee, 1780s period. As winter (a metaphor, for this transplanted
      Canadian) closes in, I'm looking around for a pattern for a coat or
      jacket for a lady. I have a suitable cloak pattern, but I would
      prefer a jacket, such as a riding habit jacket or sleeved waistcoat.
      I'm smallish, but a boy's jacket would not hang right, and I portray a
      well-born lady, or her serving maid wearing her cast-offs, so the cut
      ought to be good. I'm not as good as I ought to be at transferring
      patterns from grids such as in Baumgarten's and Arnold's books, so I'd
      much prefer a commercial pattern. Any recommendations? Has anyone
      tried Rocking Horse's riding habit? Cautions about sizing in a
      particular commercial line? I could adapt tail length and cut if
      anyone knows of earlier patterns (e.g. F&I era). Please email me
      off-list if you have any suggestions, and many thanks.

      cheers, all,
      Lute~~