Old flags

  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      > From: K Murphy <costumerkate@...>
      > Subject: To Clean or Not to Clean
      >
      > Okay, technically this is not a costuming question, but I
      > am hoping to get some advice from people who know about
      > fabric and whom I know I can trust.
      >
      > I found an older (48 stars) flag that is 3' x 5' large,
      > and I would like to display it on my living room wall.
      > But first I would like to clean it, because the "white"
      > stripes appear almost brown. I think the flag is made of
      > linen. The blue is very faded, and the red has turned
      > kind of rusty, but the flag is still beautiful. The
      > different colored fabrics are stitched together, but the
      > colors do not appear to have "run," so I'm hoping that
      > means it's colorfast. The fabric has only one small
      > hole, and there is a reinforced binding I think I could
      > safely roll around a support.
      >
      > One flag dealer I checked with advises not cleaning the
      > flag at all, just "enjoying its patina." Another site I
      > checked on advises cleaning large textiles in the bathtub
      > with Neutrogina Face Wash.
      >
      > Could anyone with experience or knowledge about this kind
      > of thing offer some advice?

      If the blue and red are as faded/discolored as it sounds
      like they are, cleaning the flag would only accentuate the
      fading by making the white that much sharper. I'd follow
      the advice of the dealer...I know, for instance, that a lot
      of 'Old West' antiques are actually preferred in weathered
      condition. I'd regard this particular flag in the same
      way. If you want a nice, sharp, clean flag, I'd either use
      that one as an example and make one, or see if you can find
      a place that sells copies of the older styles (I know such
      places exist, I just don't know of any off the top of my
      head.)

      =====
      Curtis Kidd

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.