To Clean or Not to Clean

  • K Murphy
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
      Okay, technically this is not a costuming question, but I am hoping to get some advice from people who know about fabric and whom I know I can trust.

      I found an older (48 stars) flag that is 3' x 5' large, and I would like to display it on my living room wall. But first I would like to clean it, because the "white" stripes appear almost brown. I think the flag is made of linen. The blue is very faded, and the red has turned kind of rusty, but the flag is still beautiful. The different colored fabrics are stitched together, but the colors do not appear to have "run," so I'm hoping that means it's colorfast. The fabric has only one small hole, and there is a reinforced binding I think I could safely roll around a support.

      One flag dealer I checked with advises not cleaning the flag at all, just "enjoying its patina." Another site I checked on advises cleaning large textiles in the bathtub with Neutrogina Face Wash.

      Could anyone with experience or knowledge about this kind of thing offer some advice?

      Thanks,

      Kate Murphy

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        In a message dated 11/1/2004 9:08:53 AM Central Standard Time,
        costumerkate@... writes:

        Could anyone with experience or knowledge about this kind of thing offer some
        advice?
        Dear Kate:

        Please don't do anything to the flag yourself - you could accidentally damage
        it. I'd strongly recommend contacting your local historical society or art
        museum. They would most likely be able to refer to a professional conservator
        who could tell you how best to preserve the flag.

        Good luck!

        Donna

      • Coyote Woman
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
          Check with your local drycleaner. My father took my ex-boyfriend's flag (it
          had been draped over his father's casket and then put in storage) to see if
          it could be cleaned -- it was nasty and moldy and we weren't sure if it was
          salvageable -- but the drycleaner did a KILLER job and didn't charge us for
          it.

          _____

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2004
            Sounds like you have a vintage piece. Sure you want to take the chance of
            it falling apart during a cleaning ? It's either linen as you guess or it
            was stored in a wet location causing "rust" which will happen with both
            cotton and linen. The faded colors you're stuck with but you might try some
            oxyclean on a small section of the white stripes to get an idea of how badly
            faded the colors actually are.