  • Cynthia Spilsted
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 17, 2004
      No, Muslin will not work for a pattern calling for stretch - but you can get a very cheap stretch fabric from the sale or bargain bins of places like Fabricland, Wal-mart and the such. Butt-ugly colours, but good for doing mock-ups. Remember to buy fabric with the same degree of stretch as your good fabric or the effort will be for nought.
      Cynthia

      Sigrun Nilsen <drkfrau@...> wrote:
      I would have tried a muslin fitting but since the pattern called for knit fabric, I didn't think it would work. Will muslin work for a pattern that uses knits?

      Thanks for your reply and advice:-))

      Michele
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 19, 2004
        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Sigrun Nilsen"
        <drkfrau@v...> wrote:
        > I would have tried a muslin fitting but since the pattern called
        for knit fabric, I didn't think it would work. Will muslin work for a
        pattern that uses knits?

        > Thanks for your reply and advice:-))
        >
        > Michele

        Michele,
        The crux of your problem is right there... you used a pattern that
        called for a KNIT fabric, but you tried to make it up in COTTON
        FLANNEL.... NOT a knit fabric. Flannel will never stretch even a tiny
        bit, let alone as much as a knit fabric is supposed to.... like I
        said before... it shrinks like crazy. When a knit fabric is called
        for by the pattern, ALWAYS use a knit fabric. In fact, the side of
        the pattern envelope usually gives a guide by which a knit fabric has
        to stretch a certain amount or it won't work for that pattern. Be
        aware that there are different KINDS of knit.... some sketch a little
        bit, some stretch a whole lot, and some (the so-called stabelized
        kind) don't stretch at all. That's why the pattern envelope gives you
        a guide to "stretch" on the side. Usually, 4" of the knit should
        horizontally stretch to about 6" without too much tugging or
        difficulty.... but the pattern tells you exactly how much stretch a
        fabric should have to work correctly with THAT particular pattern.
        Your pattern was designed to hug the body for a "tailored" look, but
        with the aid of the stretching properties of a knit with a specific
        amount of stretch (as described on the stretch "guide") to do it....
        NO KNIT>>>>> NO FIT!
        Tess
      • Sigrun Nilsen
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 19, 2004
          Thank you, Tess, for your good advice. As a person who sews for WWII historical reenactors, I mainly use cotton or wool for the uniforms. The world of knits is a whole new one for me. The clothes that I am working on now are for my own personal wardrobe, as it is freezing here in Northeast PA and my winter clothes are worn out from last year.

          I am studying about knits now and learning how to work with them. I really like the way a knit top looks, especially when a nice trim is added.

          Michele
          > I would have tried a muslin fitting but since the pattern called
          for knit fabric, I didn't think it would work. Will muslin work for a
          pattern that uses knits?

          > Thanks for your reply and advice:-))
          >
          > Michele

          Michele,
          The crux of your problem is right there... you used a pattern that
          called for a KNIT fabric, but you tried to make it up in COTTON
          FLANNEL.... NOT a knit fabric. Flannel will never stretch even a tiny
          bit, let alone as much as a knit fabric is supposed to.... like I
          said before... it shrinks like crazy. When a knit fabric is called
          for by the pattern, ALWAYS use a knit fabric. In fact, the side of
          the pattern envelope usually gives a guide by which a knit fabric has
          to stretch a certain amount or it won't work for that pattern. Be
          aware that there are different KINDS of knit.... some sketch a little
          bit, some stretch a whole lot, and some (the so-called stabelized
          kind) don't stretch at all. That's why the pattern envelope gives you
          a guide to "stretch" on the side. Usually, 4" of the knit should
          horizontally stretch to about 6" without too much tugging or
          difficulty.... but the pattern tells you exactly how much stretch a
          fabric should have to work correctly with THAT particular pattern.
          Your pattern was designed to hug the body for a "tailored" look, but
          with the aid of the stretching properties of a knit with a specific
          amount of stretch (as described on the stretch "guide") to do it....
          NO KNIT>>>>> NO FIT!
          Tess

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Sigrun Nilsen
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 20, 2004
            I recently used an inexpensive knit fabric that I bought for $1/yd. at Walmart and made up a mockup of a top that I am making. It worked out very well and fits me fine.

            Thanks,
            Michele