Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Need tips on a Shrinkable wardrobe (was Re: Pattern Sizes)

  • Cynthia Spilsted
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
      Except for children's sizes where the reverse is true! Go figure - Your child (or the child that you are sewing for) might wear a RTW of size 12, but pattern size could be as small as an 8! Measure and trust the sizing on the envelope back. Then, make notes as to difference in fit. You will find that the fitting differences will be quite consistent within the pattern company's stock and adjustments can then be made at the cutting stage. For example, Kwik Sew tends to have 'roomy' arms for their activewear - not a good look at all for dance and skating. I have made fitting notes for most of the major pattern companies regarding both children's and adult's patterns and have found that it saves a lot of frustration in the long term.
      Cynthia

      Pierre & Sandy Pettinger <costumrs@...> wrote:

      Because while the 3 major pattern companies at least start with a
      standardized size range, there is absolutely NO correspondence between
      patterns and ready-to-wear. There is also no standardization whatsoever in
      ready-to-wear sizing. Companies have been making sizes larger over the
      past 30 to 40 years, so what was a size 14 in the 1950's/60's is about a
      size 8 now. It's an image thing - they believe women want the smaller
      numbers, even though the actual body measurements haven't
      changed. Therefore, pattern size numbers will almost always be bigger than
      ready-to-wear size numbers for the same measurements.

      Sandy

      At 07:39 AM 10/16/2004, you wrote:
      >I just recently bought two pairs of jeans in a size 18/ 20 and they fit me
      >very well. So, that's why I can't understand my fitting dilemma. My
      >measurements on patterns match a 24/26!
      >
      >Michele

      "Those Who Fail To Learn History
      Are Doomed to Repeat It;
      Why They Are Simply Doomed.

      Achemdro'hm
      "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
      -- C.Y. 4971

      Andromeda

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Theresa Roden
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 17, 2004
        I've always found it in the vicinity of the interfacing materials. At the moment I can't recall the exact commercial name. I've always referred to it as pattern tracing material and the sales staff at the local Joanns or Hancocks have been able to find it for me.

        Theresa

        Sigrun Nilsen <drkfrau@...> wrote:

        I didn't know about the sizing for "B" cups either. I lost weight too, and am now struggling to get a good fit. I'm glad that I lost the weight also, but it's changed my whole wardrobe and I need new clothes ASAP. Everything I have, especially slacks, hang on me like a bag and look awful. I just recently bought two pairs of jeans in a size 18/ 20 and they fit me very well. So, that's why I can't understand my fitting dilemma. My measurements on patterns match a 24/26!

        What is the 1" gridded stuff you talked about?

        Michele
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 22, 2004
          "I didn't know about the sizing for "B" cups either. I lost weight
          too,
          and am now struggling to get a good fit. I'm glad that I lost the
          weight also, but it's changed my whole wardrobe and I need new
          clothes ASAP.
          Everything I have, especially slacks, hang on me like a bag and look
          awful. I just recently bought two pairs of jeans in a size 18/ 20 and
          they fit me very well. So, that's why I can't understand my fitting
          dilemma. My measurements on patterns match a 24/26!"

          Congratulations on losing that weight! The difference in sizing from
          store bought clothes and patterns is simply called "vanity sizing".
          To flatter their customers the clothing companies call their size 12
          an 8 and each company has their own measurements for "standard" sizes
          (so there really isn't a standard per se). I recently saw an article
          where a focus group for clothing companies measured 55,000 people!
          All to get new measurements for clothing size standards. Oh another
          thing...those clothing companies are still using measurements from
          WWII!!

          List Lurker (only because of my busy busy son)

          Avril Novelich :)
        • Theresa Roden
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 22, 2004
            Because of the weight loss and trimming due to exercise, I had a friend take a set of basic measurements for me. I lost an 1-1/4" in my neck, 2-3/4" in the waist, and 2-1/4" in the hips since the last time I'd had measurements taken. The only place I haven't lost inches is in the bust.

            My size 20 jeans are too large and they are the smallest pair of pants I own. I have quite a stash of fabric and I'm willing to make some new clothes. But first, I'm going to go "window-shopping" with a friend whose judgement I trust in order to try out new styles and looks before I make the new stuff.

            I still have a ways to go to get down to where I really should be, but getting down past 180 was the first milestone. I was at 200 around the first of the year until recently, was only trying in fits and starts. Had a couple of life-changing experiences that motivated me to get serious and I really, really like the results I'm getting.

            Theresa

            Avril Novelich <gelflinggal@...> wrote:

[...]

            List Lurker (only because of my busy busy son)

            Avril Novelich :)

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Sigrun Nilsen
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 22, 2004
              Theresa, congratulations on your weight loss! It isn't easy, I know. I lost from 220 lbs. to 208 lbs. recently. I still have to get down to at least 160 lbs. which I feel very comfortable with and healthy. The recent weight loss has made me feel much better also. It's nice to know that I can get into a size 18/20 ready-to-wear clothes from size 24/26. I am just finishing the first of a series of new clothes for winter.

              It's coming along really nicely. It's a beautiful shade of lavender. I even learned how to put purple decorative topstitching on it. I can't wait to make more!

              My Best,
              Michele

[...]

              List Lurker (only because of my busy busy son)

              Avril Novelich :)