Gangs of New York

  • wdjennings2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2004
      Hi---I have been a member of this list for a long time---finally I have a question. Maybe somebody has an answer:

      I was watching Scorsese's movie 'Gangs of New York' on TV recently; this movie was recommended by a couple of websites as being worth watching for costume detail.

      I liked the look of the movie generally and the detail of the 1850's-60's style.

      I noticed that several of the working class women wore skirts that seemed to have been dyed in rainbow-like bands of color---I have never seen this before, and I can't find anything about it in my costume history books.

      Is this accurate? Where and how did it originate, if known?

      thanks

      wdj
    • K Murphy

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2004
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, K Murphy <costumerkate@y...> wrote:
          > The bands of color -- are they solid and horizontal? Over the years I have occasionally come across black & white photos of clothing like that in my research, but I've never seen any rainbow-like graduation in skirts and would love to know if someone else has.
          >
          > Kate Murphy

          Hi Kate--the bands are horizontal and quite wide; these are not fashionable ladies, they are working class women. It seemed plausible to me but I had never seen pictures so I wondered about it. Also, some of the men in the movie wear bib front shirts in a kind of fine gingham or plaid fabric with (maybe three inch wide) horizontal bands of red or orange, which I think may be a uniform of the gang.

          wdj
        • krhansn@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2004
            I read a review of that movie years ago in the New Yorker and I remember that the stripes on the clothing had to do with gang identification. I can't find that article but I did find a bit of info (About 1/2 way down):
            http://www.shell.linux.se/treggy88/Leo/gony/gangs.html