Re: Introduce Yourself!

  • Maxim Paprosa
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2000
      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@egroups.com, "TheCostumer Tara Maginnis"
      <Tara@c...> wrote:
      > Greetings, this is Tara your fearless moderator. I was thinking it
      > might be nice if all you folks posted introductions to the group so
      > you could find out more about who everyone is. So for a start here
      > are some questions you all may want to answer. Feel free to add
      more.

      > Name?
      Maxim Paprosa, THR 254 dropout

      > Location?
      at home in the arctic

      > Mental Age?
      I have to show i.d. to purchase alcohol

      > Do you have a web site?
      yea, but it contains 0% of your RDI of costumes

      > What is your main interest in costume?
      I enjoy making my own clothes, and I'm also interested in the socio-
      economic-enviornmental aspects of clothing.>

      > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
      I've given this a bit of thought. It's a tie between Andrei
      Tarkovsky's 'Andrei Rublev' (for historical accuracy; too bad the
      film was shot in b&w) and John Water's movies, especially Pink
      Flamingos (innovative and filmed in color) and Female Trouble. What I
      really appreciate about John Water's early films is the low-budget
      aspect, being innovative with a $200 art budget for Pink Flamingos.

      > What is your favorite historic costume period?
      pre-contact american textiles such as chilkat weaving & Incan textiles
      I also like punk rock, and 1960s-1970s alaskan parkas

      > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
      $200 budget for metallic spray paint, to be applied to ~50 masks and
      gowns by ~ a team of 5 unsupervised teenage inhalent-abusers. End
      result prematurely running out of paint and learning how stupid kids
      can be.

      > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
      > etc.?
      I watched the film 'trekkies' and I was mostly disturbed by it all,
      especially the trekkie-costumed lap dog. I would have to say I am
      disturbed by any such dog-costume

      > What is your favorite weird costume material?
      snack food wrappers! Genius, Tara! Anything recycled/reused

      > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
      in vain.
      Hemp fleece! Hemp/silk brocade! Who knows where to find this?

      > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
      I think most importantly a bridesmade's outfit should allow her to
      move about easily to do last minute wedding stuff. I would avoid
      panniers, stays, petticoats, super-long sleeves or skirts.
    • cecilia@jahoopa.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 16, 2000
        Hello, all. Just joined the list today, skimmed through all the
        posts just to get an idea of the atmosphere. And I thought I'd fill
        out the survey!

        > Name?
        Jeni

        > Location?
        Scranton, PA

        > Mental Age?
        Varies from 16 to 40, I think.

        > Do you have a web site?
        Yes, but I have about 1% costume stuff on there, and it's in the
        process of moving to a popup-free server.

        > What is your main interest in costume?
        Becoming someone else. I'm a very escapist person.

        > What are your favorite Costume Movies?
        Titanic, Ever After, Les Miserables (some versions). Lately, It's A
        Wonderful Life (my first theatrical costuming gig, which I'm working
        on right now for very small community theatre)

        > What is your favorite historic costume period?
        That mysterious transition between Regency and Crinoline. I also
        dabble in early 16th century France, 18th century rural American,
        French Revolution and Empire, and 1912-1915.

        > Describe your favorite costume disaster.
        Oh, I haven't been doing this long enough for any major disasters.
        That is, I have always expected fully to screw up. Sometimes, I
        surprise myself.

        > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
        > etc.?
        Well, other than the usual scary faire conventions... I can't forget
        the girl in the white lacey ruffled Scarlett O'Hara hoop dress,
        compleat with sausage curls and matching parasol.

        > What is your favorite weird costume material?
        I saw one of those plastic sunvisors turned into a French hood by
        turning it around and sticking it on the top of her head. She had
        covered it with velvet and yummy trim and added a veil.. I just
        thought that was brilliant.

        > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
        > in vain.
        It's more a budget issue than being unable to find something,
        usually. Right now, I'm trying to find several dresses for Violet in
        IAWL in the theatre's meager closet of cast-offs. The actress is a
        size three.. I have the feeling I'm going to be doing a lot of
        alterations.

        > How you would dress a bridesmaid?
        Well, five or so attendants, each in a different time period would be
        neat. It would allow finding a flattering style for each girl, and
        the whole look could be pulled together by using similar color
        choices. What to do with the ushers, though..

        Well, that's it. Hopefully, I will be able to learn from you all, as
        I definately have a lot to learn.
      • Cecilia duPont
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 16, 2000
          > Hmm...I'd do the same for the ushers, too, matching each one to the
          time
          > period of each bridesmaids' dress. �While doing that, you could
          give each
          > pair coordinating colors and arrange them so that they'd be in
          chronological
          > order when in the processional and stuff. �Doing that, there could
          be one
          > color that went with everything that was used with everyone for the
          > through-line that ties it all together. �Sounds like a fun project.

          It does... well, you know how hard it is to get a guy in a tux,
          talking them into hosen or breeches or anything like that is that
          much harder. You'd have to have a lot of very understanding guy
          friends, lol. At least with my husband, I can use coercion. (We
          eloped, so I never had to worry about dressing bridesmaids)

          > Oh, and about IAWL...

          Thank you for all your ideas.. I hope it doesn't come down to me
          actually making something from scratch. I'm not very good yet.
          Salvation Army will hopefully be my best bet. This character runs
          such a gamut, from 30's nice girl to 40's prostitute.

          Jeni.

          Sent by Jahoopa Free Email!
          Find us on the web at http://www.jahoopa.com
          Join today!
        • Alexa304@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 20, 2000
            I know where to buy all kinds of hemp fabric. Try Ohio Hempery they have an
            800 number 1800 buy hemp
          • Rachael Emborg
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 16, 2000
              > Name? Rachael Emborg
              > Location? Missoula Montana
              > Mental Age? 31 or 3 depending on the day
              > Do you have a web site? not at this time
              > What is your main interest in costume? I do SCA, but have also
              done theatre costuming in the past
              > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Star Wars *grin* I love
              Princess Leia's getups. I also liked Sean Connery's duds in the Wind
              and the Lion :)

              > What is your favorite historic costume period? Byzantine Empire

              > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
              > etc.? A"middle eastern" that was sheer glittery chiffon pants
              split from ankle to hip up the side with a lightweight lycra top and
              *no Underwear of any kind*

              Glad to be here - this looks like a place that combines all of my
              strange interests.
              -rachael
            • randrean@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 11, 2001
                > Name? Raun
                >
                > Location? WI
                >
                > Mental Age? 2-2000 really depends on the day
                >
                > Do you have a web site? Nope
                >
                > What is your main interest in costume? I am an actor who has spent
                as many hours if not more in the shop than on the boards. It keeps me
                busy when I have a million other things to do.

                > What are your favorite Costume Movies? Movies with puppets like
                Dark Crystal, Labrynth. They don't always dress real people but the
                body shapes of the puppets are usually closer to real people than
                movie star bodies

                > What is your favorite historic costume period? Nothing specific.
                Long skirts and corsettes

                > Describe your favorite costume disaster. It's beyond description in
                such a short space. My first full costume design this last fall. a
                new adaptation of The Three musketeers By an experimental theatre.
                SCARED THE S@^* out of me.

                > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                > etc.? I don't really have time for events.
                >
                > What is your favorite weird costume material? Colored Saran Wrap
                >
                > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                in
                > vain. Okay, well, I can never find closures. I always have some
                but it seems like it's never the right one. (I know that is a
                convoluted interp. of the ??)

                > How you would dress a bridesmaid? In tuxedos. Put the men in
                dresses. I don't know?
              • Michaela de Bruce
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 13, 2001
                  OK, I never did this before yet have been a big fan of the site for
                  so long.. and been a member of the group for months;)

                  > > Name?

                  michaela de bruce, or online: Neimhaille, Azrael, Az, any variations
                  on the theme.

                  > > Location?

                  Auckland, New Zealand, but I'm a natural born rover, just spent three
                  years saving in as many weeks in london and northern Europe

                  > > Mental Age?

                  Umm.. varies. Sometime I feel like a little old lady wondering at
                  today's youth, then I feel like a disenfranchised youth myself.

                  > > Do you have a web site

                  Yes, several:
                  http://recital.tripod.com/costume my own work
                  http://recital.tripod.com/fashion images of 1870-1886
                  http://phoenix.song.tripod.com personal site, only go there if
                  extremely bored, some rants ans such.
                  http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/stage/4881/ I think, my old
                  research on Trilby. Site is around 4 years old and neglected just as
                  long.

                  >> What is your main interest in costume?

                  hmm... well I can say how it started, but I don't really know what
                  else to say. It began when I fell in love with Phatom of the Opera by
                  Andrew Lloyd Webber, and finally got the book of the musical at age
                  13. Suddenly I wanted to know everything about the 1880s. The
                  fashions, the PRB (Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood), french history.. etc.
                  Then I wanted to know how the costumes were made. So I studied as
                  many scaled patterns of actual garments I could. Made up some in that
                  scale, some dolls then finally decided to costume myself for a
                  singing competition.
                  I knew I couldn't get what I wanted. Too many stores go for tacky
                  glitz in polyester lining and lace. It wasn't bad, but wasn't good.
                  So I tried again and again to get what I wanted. Still not a master
                  of the craft, but I vertainly love it.

                  > > What are your favorite Costume Movies?

                  Dracula, Titanic (script stank, costumes were dreamy), Age of
                  Innocence, Dangerous Liasons, Fifth Element, Portrait of a Lady, Anna
                  Karenina (the one with Sean Bein), Sleepy Hollow, My fair Lady and
                  just saw one 2 nights ago. Clark and something. About two highwaymen
                  in the 18th C, but it had modern music and the costumes were twisted
                  and modernised. Worked well to make a nightmare world (1999).
                  For theatre, well Phantom clearly, My Fair Lady (that Ascot dres is
                  nearly religiosly copied), Notre Dame de Paris, people couldn't cope
                  with the mix of modern and anceint, personally I thought it worked.
                  Everyone looked like they belonged in an old time asylum (title of
                  one of the songs).

                  > > What is your favorite historic costume period?

                  All time, around 1875-1890. So artificial and if not creative then at
                  least trying something new: the sewing machine and chemical dyes.
                  Tudor and Elizabethan next, Georgian through to Regency, 1830s-40s...

                  > > Describe your favorite costume disaster.

                  ahh... for me, I wrote to Rob Guest to tell him I would attend the
                  final show of Phantom in NZ in a victorian gown. Well my sewing was
                  finished but the bloody thing didn't fit, and with 3 minutes before I
                  had to leave I just didn't have the time to fix the problem. So there
                  I was giving a standing ovation, and the TV cameras were right next
                  to me. I missed out on the chance of a lifetime to get my costuming
                  exposed for free!
                  Then again having a tied on skirt start to fall during a choral dance
                  routine was fun. I did hold on to the front, but it was a nervous
                  experience.

                  > > What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                  > > etc.?

                  I've never been to one:(

                  > > What is your favorite weird costume material?

                  Plastic used to hold copy for magaine production. It's thick clear
                  plastic that goes silver when layered in large amounts. It's got some
                  percentage of silver nitrate in it I believe. I made feathers out of
                  it for my phoenix costume and use it to store all my patterns on.

                  > > Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched
                  > in
                  > > vain.

                  Blue floral striped fabric. For the blue dress at my site. The stuff
                  I did manage to dye, has now faded so I have a pale blue fabric. I
                  have some stuff which will do now, but it needs a bit of hand
                  printing to make it a better match. And of course, velvet is out of
                  season just now (summer here).

                  > >How you would dress a bridesmaid?

                  hmmmmm... well I wouldn't put them in the exact same dress, unless
                  they were fraternal twins triplets etc. and they wanted that. Nor the
                  exact same shade of fabric. I'd work with what suited them and just
                  get them to look like they are wearing outfits that are from the same
                  collection. In them e with the bride and wedding, but not like
                  they've been stamped from the same mold.

                  Cheers,
                  michaela de bruce, only now catching up on nearly two months of email.
                • fireleolovepower
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 1, 2006
                    Name? Ravenhawk

                    Location? Lone Rock, Iowa, USA

                    Mental Age? Well hard to say sometimes 20 most of the time 35

                    Do you have a web site? No but I have a yahoo group
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CospIowa/

                    What is your main interest in costume? Anime Conventions and Anime
                    Cosplay

                    What are your favorite Costume Movies? Moulin Rouge

                    What is your favorite historic costume period? Well anything from
                    Japan, Also Medevil Times

                    Describe your favorite costume disaster. No One knew who I was.

                    What was the worst costume you ever saw at a RenFaire, SCA event,
                    etc.? Well I was at Anime Detour 2004 and a female was cosplaying
                    the male character Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop.

                    What is your favorite weird costume material? Haven't had an
                    opertunity to make any costume out of weird material

                    Describe a costume object or material for which you have searched in
                    vain. A fabric for A sweater duster , blue ribbed sweater material.
                    I'm really bad with picking material. I think one would be good but
                    when I get it doesn't work right.

                    How you would dress a bridesmaid? corset full skirt lots of layers
                    thin sheer fluffy look.