Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Top Hat

  • FairieSeemstress@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
      Dear John,
      Have you tried www.invernesscapes.co.uk ? though they might be a little out
      of your price range, they are really nice. And of course making one out of a
      couple yds of black or gray wool fabric would be a cinch, put a little self
      adhesive interfacing in the collar and your good to go! also a lot of scottish
      sellers have them! happy hunting!
      -Crystal

    • Carolann Schmitt
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
        Contact Tim Bender at http://www.benderhats.com/

        He makes excellent beaver felt hats (including top hats) to order. His finishes his own fur felt, his construction is a work of art and 100% authentic, and delivery time is very quick. A wonderful gentleman and a joy to work with.

        Carolann Schmitt
        cshmitt@...
        www.genteelarts.com
        Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference, March 3-6, 2005

        From: "John T. Soister" <john_soister@...>
        For a high school production of "A Christmas Carol" I need a genuine
        beaver top hat (size 7 1/2) and a quality black Inverness cape.
      • Brian Jeffrey
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
          For that Top Hat I would check out www.gladhatter.net . And I liked that line about the football team ........but doesn't that sound familiar.

          The Thermoman of Dazian

          Brian Jeffrey

          www.dazian.com

        • Irmgart Hasenschlaf
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
            may I suggest http://www.millerhats.com/top1.htm
            I don't know if its beaver, but it does say that it is fur felt...

            -Irmgart

            --
            Irmgart Hasenschlaf
            Canton of Buckston-on-Eno, Barony of Windmasters' Hill, Kingdom of Atlantia!
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
              Hi John:

              Wow, congratulations on wrestling some $$ away from the football team!

              I have worked for over a decade costuming teenagers, and my advice to you would be to purchase two or three nice wool toppers in a range of sizes in lieu of one hat made of the (much) more expensive fur felt. With a recurring production, not only are you looking at future actors who may not a be a size 7-1/2, but you are also looking at kids playing with the hat over the years. Something else to consider is that if you put this one extremely great looking fur-felt hat on stage, it will highlight the fact that nothing else on the stage is as authentic looking. It's okay to have something stand out on purpose, but I think sometimes it doesn't occur to people that real fur on stage with fake fur makes the fake fur look more fake, or real wool on stage with polyester makes the polyester look more shiny and awful. The point is to try to remain consistent within your budget for the best overall effect.

              When I want a really nice Dickens style topper for this kind of production, I shop the Internet. Most of the hats are identical, but the prices vary wildly. There are some very nicely made wool toppers out there for around $70 or even slightly less. (Fur felt is around $120-up). The used formal wear is also a good idea. Don't be discouraged if you have to visit several places before you find someone interested in talking to you.

              If you are just dying for that fur felt top hat, buy the largest one you can find and try to adjust it to fit in future years by padding evenly around the inside headsize opening. And lock it away every night, especially during prom season and Halloween!

              www.villagehatshop.com has some interesting toppers, along with www.actonecostumesetc.com. There are tons of websites selling these things, and most larger costume stores have them, too (at inflated prices.) The advantage of the Internet is that some sites will match the lowest price you can find and they can usually get any size of hat if you don't need it immediately. Try a web search for "costume hats" or "top hats."

              If you can find a pattern you like at a local fabric store (maybe somebody out there has some suggestions?) you may be better off having the cape made for you by a local tailor or competent volunteer (most local dry-cleaning establishments have a tailor or dressmaker.) Commercial costumes, no matter how expensive, tend to be of uneven quality and made of cheap fabric. Capes are very simple for anyone who is experienced in clothing construction to make.

              Whatever you decide, have fun, and "Go Drama Team!"

              Kate Murphy

[...]

            • David
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 19, 2005
                For a recent production of Sweet Charity we had to buy a collapsible
                top hat and found a pretty good quality one at a Magician Supply store
                in Toronto - not GREAT quality - but good enough for the stage. It ran
                about $85.00 as opposed to the $250 we would have had to spend for a
                real one. Hope this helps.