Re: Straw Braid Hat Makers

  • bearhedded
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
      I'm not sure if they even make straw machines anymore.
      Manny's Millinery, in New York, offers used ones, once in awhile,
      but it takes some practice to use one. Those clumsy hats in doll
      supply catalogs are made on those same machines, keep in
      mind! The bulky straw they use doesn't add any grace.

      It's easier to use woven straw for doll hats, and cover the raw
      edge with straw braid or other trim. Plaited straw can be laced
      together, as you would a braided rug, but it's a big pain to make
      that first round!

      I buy old straws that are nearly paper thin, when I can find them,
      and I can get 5-7 hats out of 1 fedora. My dolls average 20-24"
      in height.

      bh