Leather lookalike

  • David
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2004
      Several years ago we did a production of "The Birds" (not the
      Hitchcock one) and we needed a number of pieces which appeared to be
      black leather. The designer showed us this process where items were
      built of canvas, imitating the thickness of leather, and were then
      covered with a coat of latex flex glue which had been tinted black.
      When dry, the items were wrinkled and then smoothed, and finally
      treated with a coat of black FEV (French enamel varnish). This created
      the veiny look of the grain. Not to impressive up close, but from a
      distance it was very convincing. Hope this helps, and good luck.

      David Juby
      Head of Wardrobe
      Theatre Sheridan
    • randy keator
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2004
        Why not try naugyhyde ? It's actually an imitation leather or check out the
        imitation leathers available at some fabric sections in the larger craft
        stores ?