Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Duct Tape Double

  • butchncleo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
      i had one time found it on the web myself, you are supposed to take an old t-shirt have a friend help you .
      tape your self up in a cross your heart style in the bust area much like the commercial from long ago on the cross your heart bra, then you are to duct tape yourself up from there. mind you in order to get out of this, you are then to cut up on the side but maybe a better variation might be to cut up the back and then remove. retape up the cut opened side and then stuff it with batting and or poly fiberffil. you know have a double of what your shape is as the tape will mold the shirt to your shape, (this might be scarey for some of us. who wants to really see what our shape is.

      hope that helps.
    • Ken & Patricia
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
        > Have any of you used this method when creating/altering garb?
        > I will be making one this weekend, of myself corseted (as the
        > vast majority of my garb is mid to late tudor and as such
        > would have that shilouette anyway). I've scouted the websites
        > and know how to do it, but any tips/hints from your esteemed
        > experiences would be greatly appreciated.

        It worked wonderfully for a couple of years. Then the heat/humidity and it's own weight was
        finally too much for it. My shoulders stretched lowering the whole torso several inches.
        You can't pin her either. She scared the crap out of everyone when I left her out in the
        room instead of some dark little corner.

        If I had to do over again (I bought a Dritz form which if I had a do over I'd have bought
        the Uniquely You form instead) I'd use a pvc skeleton instead of the coat hanger and fabric
        tube suggested by the original web page I read. I'd also find a better way to close the
        bottom of the form. If I'd found a way to take some of the weight off the shoulders she
        might have lasted longer. It's cool to see what your body really looks like.

        Patricia
      • Loretta Armstrong
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
          DON'T USE DUCT TAPE. It makes your pins sticky and nasty. Duct tape is
          good for much but for this, not so much. I recomend either masking tape or
          that really cool packing tape that you have to moisten. My mom works at a
          shipping wearhouse and brought home the peice of equiptment that rolls off
          the tape and moistens it at the same time. When it dried, it had the consitancy
          of paper mache.
          Also, be aware of what you are wearing under it. I had a big tee shirt on. We
          should have cut some of it out to make it fight tighter. As it stands, a bunch of
          the extra tee shirt got bunched under my armpits. And as you can imagine,
          that is no longer an accurate measurement. The corset I made came out too
          big up top, which is a pain if you are small chested to begin with.
          I think threads magizine had some great instructions- they talk about the
          'cross your heart' with tape that works well!
          I totaly lucked out and found a dress form about 2 sizes too small that my form
          sits on. I had padded the bum but it all fell out in the move- it holds up pretty
          well on its own.
          Good luck!
          Loretta

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Kathleen" <

        • IvannaBWealthy@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
            I would like to try this as well, but have no one to help me with it. I
            remember seeing a thread on one of my lists or a web site of somone's experience
            recently about this, and thought I had saved it. Of course, I can't find it.
            If I remember correctly, the general consensus agreed with Loretta - use the
            paper packing tape. However, it must get absolutely dry before being cut off,
            which can take several hours. Also, apparently they can start to sag over
            time, but my take is that is it cheap, and our bodies tend to change some too, so
            maybe needing a new one every couple of years is OK.

            If I find the actual comments, I will post the link.

            Paula

          • Joannah Hansen
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
              Make sure that the duct tape that you use is the type with the threads/fabric in it, so that it doesn't stretch. I made the mistake the first time of using tape ( labeled 'duct tape' on the packaging ) which was just vinyl without the fabric base, and once I had taken it off it shrunk back to its original size, because it had been stretched around me.

              Also, I don't put pins through it. I mark on it with a paint pen where I want the seams to go, the neckline and armholes, cut along the seamlines, then lay the pieces out flat onto paper and trace around them to get my pattern pieces. Then I put pins through the paper pattern, if I use them. ( That is, if you are doing this to get a pattern, rather than a dress dummy , which on second read of your message is what you are plannning to do, I think. :-) )

              The point about excess fabric under the tape is a good one. I have read somewhere that it is recommended that you use a reasonably close-fitting but stretchy t-shirt, rather than a loose one, to avoid too much bunching.

              Have fun, and good luck with your duct-taping!
              Joannah.

              --- "Kathleen" <belle_vivre@...> wrote:
              Have any of you used this method when creating/altering garb? I will
              be making one this weekend, of myself corseted (as the vast majority
              of my garb is mid to late tudor and as such would have that
              shilouette anyway). I've scouted the websites and know how to do it,
              but any tips/hints from your esteemed experiences would be greatly
              appreciated.

              Kindest Regards

              Veronica Venier
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Kingdom of Ansteorra

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • IvannaBWealthy@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
                In a message dated 9/28/2004 10:29:08 AM Central Standard Time,
                krich2@... writes:
                Have any of you used this method when creating/altering garb?
                In case you WERE wanting to use this for making a pattern, like someone else
                was suggesting, here is a link for making a bodice by cutting apart the
                double....
                http://www.reddawn.net/costume/bodice2.htm

              • bearhedded
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
                  My mother told me, years ago, about the time she and her sister
                  made forms out of paper tape, back in the 40's. I'll pass along
                  her advice/warning, which is to be careful not to pull too tightly on
                  the tape, because it shrinks as it dries, and my Aunt Rachel
                  wound up fainting before they were done!
                • Pierre & Sandy Pettinger
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 28, 2004
                    If possible, have two helpers to apply tape instead of just one. It's much
                    easier to control the tension, and it goes a LOT faster (and tape gets
                    hot!!). I did a full-body duct tape double on my husband - used cheap long
                    underwear and old socks for the underlayer. We intended to use it for a
                    unitard-type costume, but never used it. Made an interesting prop,
                    though. <g>

                    Sandy

                    "Those Who Fail To Learn History
                    Are Doomed to Repeat It;
                    Why They Are Simply Doomed.

                    Achemdro'hm
                    "The Illusion of Historical Fact"
                    -- C.Y. 4971

                    Andromeda
                  • Ken & Patricia
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
                      > Have any of you used this method when creating/altering garb?
                      > In case you WERE wanting to use this for making a pattern,
                      > like someone else was suggesting, here is a link for making a
                      > bodice by cutting apart the double....
                      > http://www.reddawn.net/costume/bodice2.htm

                      When I started costuming I used these pages a lot
                      http://home.aol.com/lclacemker/frameset3.html I've outgrown the original duct tape bodice
                      pattern. I still use the pieces as templates to redraft to accommodate new proportions.
                      This method is great if you have the one shoulder/hip higher than the other problem.

                      Patricia
                    • Dalette
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 29, 2004
                        Be prepared to stand for a LONG time, and be willing to see the "real you" mine was a very accurate representation of me, and it hides NOTHING.
                        For the most part it is just time consuming, but very helpful.
                        My husband wrapped me and We started up and down then went around, if that is helpful.
                        Dalette

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 30, 2004
                          This is definitely a very good way to fit someone who is asymmetrical. One of the women I used this method to make corset and bodice patterns for was left lopsided after a major car accident - I don't think that I'd have been able to get such a great fit on her using a different method. I also didn't realize until after making the duct tape double/pattern and laying it flat that she was so lopsided.
                          Joannah.