Starching lace

  • Ivy Long
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
      Hi everyone-
      I was wondering if anyone had any tips for starching lace... I saw somewhere that there was a natural product that repells dirt and make lace stiff ( I don't think it was normal laundry starch though) Also- the lace is worn around the neck and wrists -does anyone have any tips for washing cotton lace that has delicate beads and vintage glass pearls on it ? I'm afraid of ruining the finish on them.
      Thanks for your help!
      Ivy

    • Kathy Pawl
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
        I know there is something that crocheters and knitters use to stiffen their handiwork but I'm not sure what it is. And if you are trying to wash delicate vintage lace and beads, try soaking them in a bowl of warm water and dish detergent - like ivory or dawn - and swishing them very very gently. Change the water and swish again until the water runs clear. I did this with some lace I got at a craft fair and it came out ok - I didn't use any fabric softener and I didn't use running water to rinse. It took almost a dozen times, but it looks beautiful now. I patted the excess water out between towel layers - no wringing or twisting - then laid them flat to dry on another towel.

        Hope this helps!

        Kathy

        Ivy Long <costumefaerie@...> wrote:
        Hi everyone-
        I was wondering if anyone had any tips for starching lace... I saw somewhere that there was a natural product that repells dirt and make lace stiff ( I don't think it was normal laundry starch though) Also- the lace is worn around the neck and wrists -does anyone have any tips for washing cotton lace that has delicate beads and vintage glass pearls on it ? I'm afraid of ruining the finish on them.
        Thanks for your help!
        Ivy

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • littlemisskasha
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
          As a avid needleworker, I can tell you what we use for both vintage
          textiles and newly completed peices. I personaly use a product
          called Orvus to clean my needlework - it's a horse shampoo, and you
          can get it in bulk at horse supply places, but needlework stores sell
          it in smaller jars, under different names - it's much cheeper from
          the horse shops! I do a lot of beading on my peices and never had a
          problem using orvus.

          If there is a particularly bad stain, like bleading of thread (been
          there, done that!), then you let the cold watter dribble into the
          bowl as you soak (sometimes for a day or so) and it will get the
          stain out. I got this trick from a needlework board and was told
          that it's used in museums.

          Also, beleive it or not, a very reputible needlework store/catalogue
          recomends that you use Oxy Clean to clean things like vintage lace
          and christining gowns - I've not tried it, but I trust the source.

          BTW, the lace sounds pretty, I'd love to see it!

          Rachel in Northern UT

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Pawl
          <lotsakats1@y...> wrote:
          > I know there is something that crocheters and knitters use to
          stiffen their handiwork but I'm not sure what it is. And if you are
          trying to wash delicate vintage lace and beads, try soaking them in a
          bowl of warm water and dish detergent - like ivory or dawn - and
          swishing them very very gently. Change the water and swish again
          until the water runs clear. I did this with some lace I got at a
          craft fair and it came out ok - I didn't use any fabric softener and
          I didn't use running water to rinse. It took almost a dozen times,
          but it looks beautiful now. I patted the excess water out between
          towel layers - no wringing or twisting - then laid them flat to dry
          on another towel.

          > Hope this helps!
          >
          > Kathy
          >
          > Ivy Long <costumefaerie@y...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone-
          > I was wondering if anyone had any tips for starching lace... I saw
          somewhere that there was a natural product that repells dirt and make
          lace stiff ( I don't think it was normal laundry starch though) Also-
          the lace is worn around the neck and wrists -does anyone have any
          tips for washing cotton lace that has delicate beads and vintage
          glass pearls on it ? I'm afraid of ruining the finish on them.
          > Thanks for your help!
          > Ivy

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Service.

        • Aurora Celeste
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
            When crafting, to totally stiffen crochet to cardboard-like qualities,
            either use undiluted starch or a gluey product made by Aileen's called
            Stiffy. Stiffy is better results, but if you don't dab when you take
            it out of the soak, it may form little glue membranes in the smaller
            holes.

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Ivy Long
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10, 2004
              littlemisskasha <rlhamm@...> wrote:As a avid needleworker, I can tell you what we use for both vintage

              <lotsakats1@y...> wrote:
              > I know there is something that crocheters and knitters use to
              stiffen their handiwork but I'm not sure what it is. And if you are
              trying to wash delicate vintage lace and beads, try soaking them in a
              bowl of warm water and dish detergent - like ivory or dawn - and
              swishing them very very gently. Change the water and swish again
              until the water runs clear. I did this with some lace I got at a
              craft fair and it came out ok - I didn't use any fabric softener and
              I didn't use running water to rinse. It took almost a dozen times,
              but it looks beautiful now. I patted the excess water out between
              towel layers - no wringing or twisting - then laid them flat to dry
              on another towel.

              > Hope this helps!
              >
              > Kathy
              >
              > Ivy Long <costumefaerie@y...> wrote:
              > Hi everyone-
              > I was wondering if anyone had any tips for starching lace... I saw
              somewhere that there was a natural product that repells dirt and make
              lace stiff ( I don't think it was normal laundry starch though) Also-
              the lace is worn around the neck and wrists -does anyone have any
              tips for washing cotton lace that has delicate beads and vintage
              glass pearls on it ? I'm afraid of ruining the finish on them.
              > Thanks for your help!
              > Ivy

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Thanks for the very helpful advice! As for the lace... it isn't vintage, I'm crocheting it and adding vintage beads and wasn't sure what to include on the care labels.Now I know! thanks- Ivy

            • Ivy Long
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10, 2004