HELP: Graduate Degrees in Costume Restoration

  • cbrunner79
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
      Hi. I need help!! I have been sewing for 15 years and have decided
      (after getting my BA in management) that what I would truly love to
      do is restore costumes. I would love to work in a museum somewhere
      and restore/recreate historical costumes. I am sure I will need a
      degree for this but am unsure what kind I need and where to find
      them. I want to learn restoration but conservation degrees seem a
      little to advanced yet Costume Design degrees seem a little too
      artsy. I am attending the London College of Fashion this year to
      take a portfolio class in the hopes I can go strait in to a masters
      somewhere after completion. Please help me if you can!!

      Thanks!
      Carisa
    • CostumeShopManager
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2004
        One of the best places to begin is www.gradschools.com. You can look up fields of study. Anthropology, museum studies and textile science are the catagories most closely related to what you want to do. Some programs are through the Art Department and some through Anthropology. A few even have a Museum Studies Department. Graduate programs are a good place to write your own program or customize an existing one. It will not be advertised that you can do it, but talking to department chairs will get you far. You will want a shcool that teaches Fashion or Costume History as well as textiles and conservation. Many of the programs award certificates, too.
        Good luck!

        Hi. I need help!! I have been sewing for 15 years and have decided
        (after getting my BA in management) that what I would truly love to
        do is restore costumes. I would love to work in a museum somewhere
        and restore/recreate historical costumes. I am sure I will need a
        degree for this but am unsure what kind I need and where to find
        them. I want to learn restoration but conservation degrees seem a
        little to advanced yet Costume Design degrees seem a little too
        artsy. I am attending the London College of Fashion this year to
        take a portfolio class in the hopes I can go strait in to a masters
        somewhere after completion. Please help me if you can!!

        Thanks!
        Carisa

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Katherine-Koshka
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2004
          Hi Carisa,

          The Fashion Institute of Technology has a program in museum studies that includes
          costume restoration. It looks very interesting! I hope to take it someday, but
          several things in the way at the moment, unfortunately.

          Here's a link:

          http://makeashorterlink.com/?V26A54449

          and the full link...

          http://www.fitnyc.suny.edu/aspx/Content.aspx?menu=Future:SchoolsAndPrograms:
          GraduateSchool:FashionAndTextileStudiesHistoryTheoryMuseumPractice

          Good luck!
          Katherine

          --
          Katherine