Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Theatre Costuming

  • Kathy Pawl
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 4, 2004
      Go for it - some of the best times I'm had have been with little local theatres - Big companies with big money can do just about anything. The real creativity comes from having only 2 yards of fabric left and a box of trim and you need to squeeze out just one more costume....

      Enjoy!

      Michele Milunas <drkfrau@...> wrote:
      Hi All,

      I am considering volunteering to make costumes for our local "little theatre" and am looking for any of your positive or negative experiences with this type of work.

      And any advice would be most welcome!

      Happy Holiday,
      Michele

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Brad Gould

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2004
          Well, it seems we have mixed reviews about theatrical costuming! The reason that I would like to approach our local community theatre is this: as much as I love sewing WWII-era military and auxiliary uniforms, I'm so sick of just working in grey, grey and more grey. LOL

          I love to be creative with color, texture and style. I also need a social outlet, as I have no close friends here, and the group atmosphere and being part of something exciting might be good for me, as I am retired due to disability. Money's not really an object; just being able to sew for different eras and realize my full potential as a seamstress would be a real "high" for me.

          Oh, I know what it's like to improvise with fabric. LOL

          Thanks for all your replies.

          Michele
          Go for it - some of the best times I'm had have been with little local theatres - Big companies with big money can do just about anything. The real creativity comes from having only 2 yards of fabric left and a box of trim and you need to squeeze out just one more costume....

          Enjoy!

          Michele Milunas <drkfrau@...> wrote:
          Hi All,

          I am considering volunteering to make costumes for our local "little theatre" and am looking for any of your positive or negative experiences with this type of work.

          And any advice would be most welcome!

          Happy Holiday,
          Michele

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Love3angle
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2004
            --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Michele Milunas"
            <drkfrau@v...> wrote:
            > Well, it seems we have mixed reviews about theatrical costuming!
            <snip>

            Hey Michele, I know I'm a little late with my comments but I didn't
            see anyone else make them so...
            All of my stage costuming experience has been with local and comunity
            opera companies and I just don't think you can say "It's good"
            or "It's bad." Every production in every company is different and
            what makes my experience positive or negative has more to do with the
            experience and expectation of the director and producer more than the
            budget, concepts, or cast attitudes.
            I've had good times on low budget and high budget shows. What makes
            it swing is the degree of independence I'm given. I'm not really good
            at dealing with the super controlling directors, but that's me. I
            have a friend who does these shows and really likes a lot of
            direction - she gets a little wonky if left on her own too much. HA!

            Anyway, I guess what it boils down to is that you'll have a great
            show and then you'll have a crappy show and it will be for the same
            company for the same budget. One director agrees with your vision and
            you have the ability to deliver it with the budget and pay yourself;
            the other director wants the moon for $5 in less than a week, then
            changes his mind at the dress rehearsal to wanting the sun. There
            will also be at least one person in each cast that seems to live to
            make your life a living hell. Every person in a theater, on stange or
            off, has their own ideas about what your job should be and what
            they "deserve" out of you. Don't let these spoiled children spoil
            your show experience!

            Either way, just remember to stand your ground & know your limits. If
            you're creating a whole show, know before had the size of the cast
            and the budget. If it works out to less than $20 a person, it can't
            be reasonably done. Yes, there are ways, but who wants to put
            themselves through that? If you're renting and pulling from local
            houses, drive or call around and get a solid idea of what the places
            you have access to havein stock, what they charge, and if they have
            price breaks or deals for larger quantities. Check out shops that may
            be a bit of a drive but are worth it cost-wise. And don't forget your
            local thrift shops and swap meets. I have gotten entire choruses done
            on modified thrift shop clothing.

            Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.
            Alyxx
          • Sylvia Rognstad
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 10, 2004
              I agree with your assessment of the issue at hand. And while I
              originally wanted to caution anyone getting involved in theatre to be
              prepared to work his/her ass off, I didn't mean to sound discouraging.
              I have done that so many times (worked my ass off) but for some reason
              I always go back for more, even though I tell myself at the opening of
              the show that I will never do that again. Of course I always hope that
              next time around it won't be quite so much work. Maybe that's what
              brings me back, but it never seems to happen. There are lots of
              moments in the build process, however, that make up for the grueling
              hours, where I feel I am actually having fun. It's REALLY hard though
              when one has to do all the work him/herself, so if you can find any way
              to get some help, try to do so as soon as possible. Just expect to be
              working 7 days a week for the entire build process, which could be 3-6
              weeks. Or putting in late or all-nighters, which I can't do anymore,
              so I'll work every day without taking any days off to avoid that.

              Sylrog

            • Coyote Woman
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 10, 2004
                A friend asked me to take a look at his sewing machine and see if I could
                get it running for him. It is an OLD Pfaff "Calanda 2" and he doesn't have
                any of the manuals. I haven't had much luck searching for the threading
                diagram online and logic is failing me on this. Is anyone familiar with
                this machine? It is going to need a tuneup at the very least -- is it worth
                taking to the shop, or should he listen to his teen daughter and junk it and
                buy a new one? She is "embarassed" to use it for her fashion design class!

                Thanks for any advice!

                Lill

              • randy keator
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 11, 2004
                  I have a VERY,VERY old Pfaff and just by luck figured out the threading
                  "diagram". Luckily for myself I'm very mechanical so I was able to tune it
                  up too. I was told to junk it by the local repair shop 12 yrs ago and I'm
                  strill using it with excellent results.
                  You can go to www.pfaff.com or google sewing machines and there technical
                  dept can most likely help out with your questions(~;
                • Loretta Armstrong
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 11, 2004
                    Most machines go from the top, down to the tension disks, up through
                    the take up lever, then down to the needle. I think I met a pfaff
                    that went through the take up lever and THEN the tension. I can't
                    quite remember how, though. Try that and see!
                    I would say it's worth it to take it in to get repared. For one
                    thing, the repair person may know how to thread it!! And Pfaffs are
                    like Volvos- they just last for ever. I really like Pfaffs.
                    Loretta

                    --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Coyote Woman"