Kabuki has makeup, Noh has masks...

  • Sarah P
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2001
      Hi all,

      After researching for days, I haven't found what I'm looking for. The
      director/designer (I'm not sure which she is) wants Kabuki masks for three
      actors that are dual masks for quick-changes. The characters are supposed
      to be "Spirits of the Thousand-thousand Years". I have looked high and low,
      but cannot find anything about the mythological in Kabuki theatre. I also
      cannot find anything concerning masks in Kabuki. Masks are found in Noh and
      Kyogen theatre. And even if it doesn't matter whether or not there are
      masks used in traditional Kabuki (I don't think this is a factor in the play
      being done), I still can't find anything about the spirit world as
      represented in Kabuki. Does anyone know anything about this subject? Do
      you know where I can go for pictures? A picture can tell me a thousand
      words. And by the way, the play is "A Thousand Cranes". Anyone heard of
      this one?

      Does anyone know where I can find buckram in a small weave? Where can I
      find Thermo-plastic and how much is it per yard? (I'm located mid-way
      between Atlanta and Chattanooga.)

      Many thanks for anyone who can help me on this.

      ****Raven

    • Sarah P
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2001
        Hi all,

[...]

        Many thanks for anyone who can help me on this! I need to know ASAP.

        ****Raven

      • Costume Shop
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2001
          hello,
          There is a web site that deals directly with the story of Sadako. I believe it
          is listed as the Sadako Peace club. It deals with world peace education through
          the story of "The Thousand Cranes" The peace park dedicated to her is located
          in Seattle and I believe the Seattle Children's Theatre has done this play.
          Perhaps they can help you with the research?

          Kristina