Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] Serger recommendations

  • Michelle Davidson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
      My favorite home serger is Bernina. They are a bit
      more costly than others, but worth it. You don't want
      something cheap, because it just won't last. I don't
      know anything about Toyota sergers, but I am cringing
      with you. You can find a Bernina dealer near you by
      visiting the Bernina website. As far as what you want
      in a serger: 4 threads, not three, easy threading,
      and availability of replacement parts such as needles
      and blades. My strong advice is NOT to buy a home
      serger used--too many little delicate parts that can
      be abused. Hope that helps. Happy serging. Michelle
      Spencer Davidson

      --- Cabaniss Candi <hobbitt_c@...> wrote:
      > My husband wants to buy me a serger for Christmas.
      > Wev'e tried to do some research, but what is the
      > best
      > kind? Or more correctly what does one want in a
      > Serger. The only thing I can tell him is "it needs
      > more than two threads and it shouldn't be a
      > babyserger". One on Ebay he is looking at it by
      > Toyota, and I kinda cringe at the name.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Candi Cabaniss

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Ann Ford
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hey baby-locks are very good sergers, or they used to be. I'd recommend an
        Elna, now though.
        Ann

        ----------
        larpa-costuming@yahoogroups.com, PlusCostumeChat@yahoogroups.com,
        PlusGothsSewing@yahoogroups.com, sewinghistoric@yahoogroups.com,
        TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Serger recommendations
        >Date: Sun, Dec 2, 2001, 12:56 PM
        >

        > My husband wants to buy me a serger for Christmas.
        > Wev'e tried to do some research, but what is the best
        > kind? Or more correctly what does one want in a
        > Serger. The only thing I can tell him is "it needs
        > more than two threads and it shouldn't be a
        > babyserger". One on Ebay he is looking at it by
        > Toyota, and I kinda cringe at the name.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Candi Cabaniss

      • Sara
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2001
          I have an Elna and I love it! However, whatever machine you end up getting,
          I think that it is important to purchase from a place that offers classes
          for how to use your machine. I had used a serger before, but really needed
          the classes to help me understand all that I could do with my new machine.
          Good luck!