Serger recommendations

  • Cabaniss Candi
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
      My husband wants to buy me a serger for Christmas.
      Wev'e tried to do some research, but what is the best
      kind? Or more correctly what does one want in a
      Serger. The only thing I can tell him is "it needs
      more than two threads and it shouldn't be a
      babyserger". One on Ebay he is looking at it by
      Toyota, and I kinda cringe at the name.

      Thanks

      Candi Cabaniss

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Michelle Davidson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
        My favorite home serger is Bernina. They are a bit
        more costly than others, but worth it. You don't want
        something cheap, because it just won't last. I don't
        know anything about Toyota sergers, but I am cringing
        with you. You can find a Bernina dealer near you by
        visiting the Bernina website. As far as what you want
        in a serger: 4 threads, not three, easy threading,
        and availability of replacement parts such as needles
        and blades. My strong advice is NOT to buy a home
        serger used--too many little delicate parts that can
        be abused. Hope that helps. Happy serging. Michelle
        Spencer Davidson

        --- Cabaniss Candi <hobbitt_c@...> wrote:
        > My husband wants to buy me a serger for Christmas.
        > Wev'e tried to do some research, but what is the
        > best
        > kind? Or more correctly what does one want in a
        > Serger. The only thing I can tell him is "it needs
        > more than two threads and it shouldn't be a
        > babyserger". One on Ebay he is looking at it by
        > Toyota, and I kinda cringe at the name.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Candi Cabaniss

        http://shopping.yahoo.com
      • Ann Ford
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
          Hey baby-locks are very good sergers, or they used to be. I'd recommend an
          Elna, now though.
          Ann

          ----------
          larpa-costuming@yahoogroups.com, PlusCostumeChat@yahoogroups.com,
          PlusGothsSewing@yahoogroups.com, sewinghistoric@yahoogroups.com,
          TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [TheCostumersManifesto] Serger recommendations
          >Date: Sun, Dec 2, 2001, 12:56 PM
          >

          > My husband wants to buy me a serger for Christmas.
          > Wev'e tried to do some research, but what is the best
          > kind? Or more correctly what does one want in a
          > Serger. The only thing I can tell him is "it needs
          > more than two threads and it shouldn't be a
          > babyserger". One on Ebay he is looking at it by
          > Toyota, and I kinda cringe at the name.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Candi Cabaniss

        • Sara
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2001
            I have an Elna and I love it! However, whatever machine you end up getting,
            I think that it is important to purchase from a place that offers classes
            for how to use your machine. I had used a serger before, but really needed
            the classes to help me understand all that I could do with my new machine.
            Good luck!