Forward of CSA Message

  • Tara Maginnis
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2001
      I'm forwarding this message below from the Costume Society of America
      about a new student competition. For more on the CSA go to
      http://www.costumesocietyamerica.com/

      Dear CSA College/University Member,

      The Costume Society of America (CSA) invites your textiles, fashion,
      apparel and costume design students to
      participate in our first Apparel Design Student Competition and have
      the opportunity to win the $1000 best-of
      -show award. This competition is an exciting new feature at the CSA
      National Symposium, "The Future of
      Dress: Education and Advocacy," at the Drake Hotel and Columbia
      College Chicago June 5-8, 2002.
      Professional models will model selected garments at the symposium
      luncheon on June 7 for an audience of
      professionals from the world of costume and fashion. Awards will be
      $1000 for best-of-show and $100 for the
      each of the five category winners. The entry rules and judging
      criteria are below.

      ENTRY RULES
      *Although there is no entry fee, participants must be student members
      of CSA and currently enrolled in a
      college/university fashion, textiles or costume (theater) program.
      The annual student membership fee is $40. If
      needed, students may apply for assistance (financial or other) from
      one of the six CSA regional organizations:
      Region I, New England and the Eastern Provinces: Jeffrey Butterworth,
      jab59@..., 401-728-6128;
      Region II, Mid-Atlantic: Michelle Boardman,
      boardmanmichelle@..., 410-889-4986;
      Region III, Midwest: Dennis Brozynski, dbrozynski@...,
      312-344-7374;
      Region V, Western: Carol Tuntland, ctuntla@...,
      323-343-4033;
      Region VI, Southeastern: Anita Stamper, AnitaStamper@...,
      601-266-4679:
      Region VII, Southwestern: Tina Llorente, tllorente@...,
      713-639-7728.
      To confirm the region you are in, check the CSA web site at
      http://www.costumesocietyamerica.com, Regional Sites.
      The region can identify CSA members to pick up garments after the
      fashion show for students not able to attend
      in person.
      *Entries for men's, women's or children's apparel will be accepted in
      the categories of 1)Sportswear, 2)Suits
      and Coats, 3) Evening Wear, 4)Costume and 5) Art-to-Wear (fantasy).
      *Up to three entries may be submitted by each student. Ensembles
      containing several pieces (dress and
      matching jacket, skirt, blouse, etc.) count as one entry.
      *Each entry must be an original creation constructed by the entrant.
      A completed entry form and a maximum of
      2 slides for each entry need to be mailed or dropped-off by March 15,
      2002. Slides are to be labeled with
      entrant's name and category. Provide a self-addressed stamped
      envelope for the return of slides.
      *Selected garments must be received with appropriate devices for
      hanging and a clear plastic bag for
      transporting. Each garment is to be labeled with the entrant's full
      name, mailing address, phone numbers,
      category and vital measurements of the garment. Selected garment must
      be received by 5:00 p.m. on May 15,
      2002.
      *Mail to:
      Dennis Brozynski, Fashion Design, Columbia College Chicago, 600
      Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60605
      *Drop-off:
      Fashion Design Dept., Columbia College Chicago, Suite 700, 623 South
      Wabash, Chicago, Illinois

      JUDGING CRITERIA
      A jury of industry professionals will determine the students qualified
      to participate by reviewing applications and
      slide entries. The awards jury will determine the best-of-show and
      category winners based on originality,
      construction, design and appropriateness for market.

      We look forward to your participation in this exciting event. Entries
      must be postmarked by March 15, 2002.
      Approved garments must be received by 5:00 p.m. on May 15, 2002. An
      entry form is included below.

      Sincerely,
      Costume Society of America Symposium Co-Coordinators
      Dianne Erpenbach, 312-344-7651, derpenbach@...
      Dennis Brozynski, 312-344-7374, dbrozynski@...

      Costume Society of America
      Apparel Design Student Competition June 7, 2002
      Slide Entry Form

      POSTMARK DEADLINE : MARCH 15, 2002 (please type or print clearly)

      Full Name (as you wish it to appear on printed materials):

      Mailing Address:

      City, State, Zip:

      Day Telephone:

      Evening Telephone:

      E-mail:

      Fax:

      College/University:

      Signature of Professor/Advisor verifying applicant is a student
      in a fashion, textiles or costume program at the college/university:

      Day Telephone of Professor/Advisor:

      Name of person responsible for picking up garment(s) after fashion
      show:

      ___I would prefer to have my garment(s) mailed back.
      ___I have enclosed a $20 check for each one.

      Please make checks payable to CSA.
      I understand my check(s) will be returned for each garment not
      selected.

      Maximum 2 slides for each entry. Label slides with your name and
      category.
      Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope for their return.

      Entry #1 category name:

      Design title/concept statement:

      Garment measurements: bust or chest_______waist_______lower
      hips_______

      Entry #2 category name:

      Design title/concept statement:

      Garment measurements: bust or chest_______waist_______lower
      hips_______

      Entry #3 category name:

      Design title/concept statement:

      Garment measurements: bust or chest_______waist_______lower
      hips_______

      Slides may be used for publicity purposes for the 2002 CSA National
      Symposium,
      "The Future of Dress: Education and Advocacy," Chicago, June 5-8,