  • Curtis Kidd
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2004
      > From: "Karen Patrick" <koalabar@...>
      > Subject: RE: Digest Number 1043
      >
      > I was checking my e-mail and was surprised to see this
      > e-mail that I
      > supposedly sent... I didn't. I reccomend NOT going to
      > this site and I will
      > try to see what on my computer caused this, sorry!!!!
      > -The REAL Karen

      I have had similar experiences, and I know it wasn't
      something on my computer, because I use Yahoo and don't
      even have an address book on my own personal system. In a
      lot of cases, there are bulk-mailer programs that will
      generate emails and re-write the header information so that
      the messages appear to be coming from a different account
      (in this case, yours). I've pestered Yahoo about it three
      or four times when someone's written back to complain about
      me sending stuff I never sent, initially thinking it was
      someone actually using my account...they've also informed
      me that there's not really a whole lot they can do about
      it, if they don't get the original message to trace back to
      its point of origin (forwarding someone else's message
      about it doesn't do much good, they would need a copy of
      the original message with all the header information
      intact).

      In other words, it's could very possibly be nothing on your
      computer, or possibly the spyware that was already
      mentioned, or it may have been that somebody's bulk-mailer
      randomly generated your address or picked it up off a list
      (a lot of companies also sell address lists of their
      clientele for advertising purposes, and many are not
      particular about to whom those lists are sold). I make no
      recommendations one way or the other on whether to do
      business with them; I simply point out that it's also
      possible they hired someone else to do internet publicity
      for them, and the people they hired were somewhat less than
      scrupulous (I have heard of that happening, as well).

      They DO have some pretty impressive stuff at their site,
      though...

      > From: Casey Johnston <rose_leigh_987@...>
      > Subject: gypsy
      >
      > Hi, I am researching ideas for a halloween party costume
      > and I am interested in the character of a gypsy something
      > alike esmeralda in the hunchback of notre dame, but most
      > of my research for costume ideas has led to belly dancing
      > outfits which is not the look I am looking for. Any
      > helpfull tips or websites would be much appreciated thank
      > you!
      > Roselyn

      There are a WIDE variety of belly-dancing outfits, the more
      conservative of which actually do make for a pretty decent
      Romani costume (if a little on the simple side). I had the
      same problem last year--the recommendation to search for
      Romani (with an i, rather than a y) costumes is a good one
      and it helped me a lot. You may also try looking at photo
      areas of any ren-faire sites you find--I found several
      images that way that helped me clarify my own design--and
      when all else fails, go to the fabric store and browse
      their available patterns. Odds are not good that you'll
      find exactly what you're looking for...but you could very
      well find something easily modified to become what you're
      looking for.

      You may also try looking at some of the Indian clothing
      stores online (the one we've been discussing has some
      beautiful stuff for a Romani costume, but I don't
      necessarily recommend them because of potential shady
      business practices in advertising...however, if they've got
      it, odds are good that many of the others would have it as
      well). Most of the clothing will probably not be what
      you're looking for (these guys had a lot of traditional
      Indian clothing and stereotypical bellydancing attire), but
      a good look through their listings may turn up some
      pleasant surprises.

      > From: "happytobeaneodwif" <eodwif@...>
      > Subject: piratey tings
      >
      > I was hoping that I might find some good pirate kinds of
      > threads
      > here, but searching has not helped. Is there anyone that
      > can offer
      > some advice or point me in the right direction for
      > finding the right
      > types of patterns for pirate types of clothing?

      Along with what's already been suggested, I'd say don't
      look for 'pirate items'...look for clothing from that
      period, then make a simpler, dirtier version of it (usually
      mismatched). The Jack Sparrow jacket, for instance, is
      very akin to the standard outer coat of most Restoration
      era costumes--a little shorter, perhaps, and in his
      specific case, definitely not as elaborate (though when he
      first put it on, I've no doubt it had all the lace
      trimmings). Also, don't look for one nation's
      designs...the English, French, and Spanish were the major
      sea powers, but the Dutch, Portuguese, Italians, and
      Scandinavians also had a lot of sea traffic...and as
      pirates couldn't really sail into port to go clothes
      shopping, they dressed in what they found on their victims'
      ships--so don't be afraid to go a little eclectic on your
      choices.

      =====
      Curtis Kidd

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
    • Karen Patrick
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2004
        Thank you for your imput, I am really sorry about this I added some programs
        that will hopefully stop the spyware for a while. But, the hackers always
        seem to have the ability before the remedy is available.
        -Karen

        >Message: 12
        > Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 07:05:36 -0500
        > From: Aurora Celeste <auroraceleste@...>
        >Subject: Re: Digest Number 1043
        >
        >Because if Karen didn't send it herself, the company is using spyware
        >and a kind of virus (not a harmful kind, but if it can find your email
        >and send to your contacts automatically, it IS a virus) to contact
        >people. You'll have to decide for yourself if you want to do business
        >with a company that involves itself in such questionable practices.
        >It IS possible that the company had nothing to do with it, but not
        >likely, especially with such a specific email.

      • Theresa Roden
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2004
          I have a spyware detector and try to run it every week. It helps keep this sort of thing from happening, but it doesn't prevent it entirely as I've gotten stuff that indicates something got through once in a while.

          Theresa