Re: [TheCostumersManifesto] piratey tings

  • Denise
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      on 8/3/04 2:40 PM, happytobeaneodwif at eodwif@... wrote:

      > I was hoping that I might find some good pirate kinds of threads
      > here, but searching has not helped. Is there anyone that can offer
      > some advice or point me in the right direction for finding the right
      > types of patterns for pirate types of clothing?
      > Thanks,
      > Kristie

      Simplicity has just come out with a pattern for a Jack Sparrow-type outfit.
      I believe it is #4923. (They also came out with a new female pirate-type,
      but I personally think it is horrible!)

      I understand JP Ryan also has some patterns that would work.

      Denise
    • Jeannie
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2004
        I belong to a medieval recreation group and i happen to be the
        quartermaster on an asian pirate ship. I make most of the garb for
        your crew and if you would like you can im me or email me to get more
        info if you are interested in that time period. but i do have a very
        easy pirate shirt that can be made in less that 4 hours from start to
        finish.

        --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "happytobeaneodwif"
        <eodwif@c...> wrote:
        > I was hoping that I might find some good pirate kinds of threads
        > here, but searching has not helped. Is there anyone that can offer
        > some advice or point me in the right direction for finding the
        right
        > types of patterns for pirate types of clothing?
        > Thanks,
        > Kristie
      • Koumori
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2004
          <eodwif@c...> wrote:
          > I was hoping that I might find some good pirate kinds of threads
          > here, but searching has not helped. Is there anyone that can offer
          > some advice or point me in the right direction for finding the
          right
          > types of patterns for pirate types of clothing?
          > Thanks,
          > Kristie

          One way to go about it is to consider the time period you want your
          pirate to be from, then look at the clothes from that time period...
          since pirates mostly wore the same clothes as everybody else! Rat
          them up a bit from months at sea, add some exotic jewelry or trim
          from far-off ports, and you can get a pretty good effect right
          there. The "classic" Caribbean pirate look is mostly late-18th
          century, I think, and there are plenty of historical pattern
          companies out there with the right styles (there's a long list of
          pattern suppliers at www.gbacg.org) or, if historical accuracy isn't
          so important, the Big Three usually have pirate costumes in
          their "costume" pattern sections.