piratey tings

  • happytobeaneodwif
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      I was hoping that I might find some good pirate kinds of threads
      here, but searching has not helped. Is there anyone that can offer
      some advice or point me in the right direction for finding the right
      types of patterns for pirate types of clothing?
      Thanks,
      Kristie
    • Denise
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        on 8/3/04 2:40 PM, happytobeaneodwif at eodwif@... wrote:

        > I was hoping that I might find some good pirate kinds of threads
        > here, but searching has not helped. Is there anyone that can offer
        > some advice or point me in the right direction for finding the right
        > types of patterns for pirate types of clothing?
        > Thanks,
        > Kristie

        Simplicity has just come out with a pattern for a Jack Sparrow-type outfit.
        I believe it is #4923. (They also came out with a new female pirate-type,
        but I personally think it is horrible!)

        I understand JP Ryan also has some patterns that would work.

        Denise
      • Jeannie
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2004
          I belong to a medieval recreation group and i happen to be the
          quartermaster on an asian pirate ship. I make most of the garb for
          your crew and if you would like you can im me or email me to get more
          info if you are interested in that time period. but i do have a very
          easy pirate shirt that can be made in less that 4 hours from start to
          finish.

          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "happytobeaneodwif"
          <eodwif@c...> wrote:
          > I was hoping that I might find some good pirate kinds of threads
          > here, but searching has not helped. Is there anyone that can offer
          > some advice or point me in the right direction for finding the
          right
          > types of patterns for pirate types of clothing?
          > Thanks,
          > Kristie
        • Koumori
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2004
            <eodwif@c...> wrote:
            > I was hoping that I might find some good pirate kinds of threads
            > here, but searching has not helped. Is there anyone that can offer
            > some advice or point me in the right direction for finding the
            right
            > types of patterns for pirate types of clothing?
            > Thanks,
            > Kristie

            One way to go about it is to consider the time period you want your
            pirate to be from, then look at the clothes from that time period...
            since pirates mostly wore the same clothes as everybody else! Rat
            them up a bit from months at sea, add some exotic jewelry or trim
            from far-off ports, and you can get a pretty good effect right
            there. The "classic" Caribbean pirate look is mostly late-18th
            century, I think, and there are plenty of historical pattern
            companies out there with the right styles (there's a long list of
            pattern suppliers at www.gbacg.org) or, if historical accuracy isn't
            so important, the Big Three usually have pirate costumes in
            their "costume" pattern sections.