Designer or not?

  • catslave54
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2004
      The argument has started here as to whether or not one is an actual
      designer of a show, if the costumes are rented and not built. Rented
      means you're a Wardrobe Person...Built means you're a
      Designer...etc...I say Phooey! If you decide Marie is wearing the
      blue dress, you're the Designer, even if you bought it at the Thrift
      Store,right? Your thoughts,y'all?
    • Sylvia Rognstad
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
        I agree. Designing doesnt mean just designing the particular costumes.
        It means designing the whole look of the show in terms of what the
        actors will wear, deciding how costume pieces go together on one actor
        to create a character and deciding how costumes go together to achieve
        a certain effect on the stage and throughout the show. This is
        actually probably the biggest reason that I prefer theatrical costuming
        to any other kind of costume or clothing design. A lot of people don't
        understand this concept, but it's not just that I like to create pretty
        dresses, although I do, but what really turns me on is creating
        characters and helping to advance the meaning of the play and the
        director's vision through costume. So it doesn't matter where you get
        the costume pieces. When you put decide how they're going to be put
        together, you're the designer.

        Sylrog

        On Jul 28, 2004, at 8:51 AM, catslave54 wrote:

        > The argument has started here as to whether or not one is an actual
        > designer of a show, if the costumes are rented and not built. Rented
        > means you're a Wardrobe Person...Built means you're a
        > Designer...etc...I say Phooey! If you decide Marie is wearing the
        > blue dress, you're the Designer, even if you bought it at the Thrift
        > Store,right? Your thoughts,y'all?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
        > <l.gif>
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > �
        > �
        > Service.

      • theatrerulz
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2004
          I agree with you too. I had this problem with a show I worked on a
          little over year ago. For months I shopped, dealt with renters, and
          built(a little). My contract "said" I was the "Costume Designer" but
          when it came right down to it, the final billing said "Costume
          Coordinator." I mean, what is that? As long as you make the final
          decision as to who wears what when how, you're the designer.

          Anna
          --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "catslave54"