Re: Advice on Costume Shop Laundry Equipment?

  • mrsskunk
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
      I don't have a lot of advice on what kinds of washers you would want
      to buy but I can tell you that, based on my experience, DON'T buy
      the Duet. I had first-hand experience with a residential one (I
      think they are all the same) and when it broke, and it did quickly
      after purchase, it took lots of money and time to fix it.

      --- In TheCostumersManifesto@yahoogroups.com, "Donna McKenna"
      <cos2mer2000@y...> wrote:
      > Donna McKenna, the gal from Kalamazoo, costume shop manager at the
      > Kalamazoo Civic Theatre, seeking advice. The local Rotary Club
      has
      > provided
      > us with a grant to purchase new laundry machines--2 pair of
      washers
      > and dryers. Currently have residential models and they are
      lacking
      > from the capacity angle--20 yards of wet fabric breaks the dryer
      > belt! Anybody have recommendations for commercial-type washers
      and
      > dryers that are reliable and easily serviced? I've been looking
      at
      > the Duet and other high-capacity front-loading equipment available
      > at Circuit City, ABC warehouse, etc. Load sizes are variable--
      > sometimes just a few items and sometimes huge amounts. Anybody
      have
      > experience with dryers that dry a load in the same time it takes a
      > washer load to complete?
      >
      > We have two theatres--a 500-seat auditorium and a 210-seat black
      > box. We do about 13 shows a year, usually about 12 performances
      per
      > show, dark in the summer. We do washable laundry every 2
      > performances, dry cleaning at the end of a run with "chemical
      > freshening" as demanded.
      >
      > Donna McKenna
      > Costume Shop Manager
      > Kalamazoo Civic Theatre
      > dmckenna@k...
    • Ken & Patricia
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        <cos2mer2000@y...> wrote:
        > Donna McKenna, the gal from Kalamazoo, costume shop manager at the
        > Kalamazoo Civic Theatre, seeking advice. The local Rotary Club
        has
        > provided
        > us with a grant to purchase new laundry machines--2 pair of
        washers
        > and dryers. Currently have residential models and they are
        lacking
        > from the capacity angle--20 yards of wet fabric breaks the dryer belt!
        > Anybody have recommendations for commercial-type washers
        and
        > dryers that are reliable and easily serviced? I've been looking
        at
        > the Duet and other high-capacity front-loading equipment available at
        > Circuit City, ABC warehouse, etc. Load sizes are variable-- sometimes
        > just a few items and sometimes huge amounts. Anybody

        I just purchased the LG front loading model from Best Buy. You can see them at
        www.bestbuy.com I absolutely love them. I've only had them a month though so I can't
        really comment on staying power. They easily handle 20 yards of muslin. I've also washed
        12 yds of heavy upholstery at one time. The spin cycle on high almost dries it too. The
        dryer is 7.3 cu ft, it's huge! We did purchase the extended warranty because the brand is
        new to the US, but has been sold in Europe for decades.

        I looked carefully at all the front loaders. People on my sewing ng had horror stories
        about the Neptune pair. Every Duet I saw had the handle snapped off. And there was no way
        to get it open without the handle.

        HTH
        Patricia